What's new

TO LIVE AND DIE IN LA fans... let MGM know what you want on your DVD (1 Viewer)

David Coleman

Supporting Actor
Since we now know that MGM has the rights for this title and rumored to be coming out in 2002, let's let them know what we want to do this film justice! As for me this is what I look forward to:
New Anamorphic Widescreen Transfer(downconverted from hi-def)
5.1 DD Surround
Fredkin Commentary (hopefully along with cast)
Retrospective Documentary
Featurette on Car Chase
Deleted Scenes (with commentary)
Wang Chung Video
I dunno... any other suggestions? It be a shame if MGM didn't do this film right and made it a bare-bones title!

RickardL

Supporting Actor
Maybe DTS and isolated score? I have the soundtrack and
the music certainly is an essential part of this movie.
------------------

Jeremy

Stunt Coordinator
How about the original burned in "Date and Time" subtitles that change fonts on every appearance.
NO PLAYER GENERATED SUBTITLES!

Paul E. Fox II

Second Unit
So far, I agree with the posts thus far, but for me...just give me the damn disc!
This is one of my Absolute Favorite movies...and I really would like to have it on DVD!
------------------
Regards,
Paul

Barry_B_B

Second Unit
Real Name
Barry
I concur; the cast, the music, the story... bring it!
cool.gif

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
agreed! this was a great flick. i loved it so much i even picked up the soundtrack, which is now one of the few i actually still listen to now and then.
release it...and i will buy it!
:)
------------------
You step in the stream,
But the water has moved on.
This page is not here.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
Ditto! A Friedkin commentary would be great. I own the soundtrack also -- teriffic! One of my 2 most-wanted titles on DVD (the other being "The Last Seduction".)

Michael*K

Screenwriter
Agree with all features discussed previously. I'd like to hear commentary from Petersen and Dafoe as well. Also might add the original theatrical trailers and maybe a documentary or some text notes on the Secret Service's anti-counterfeiting practices. 'With The Exorcist and (soon-to-be) The French Connection out, I'll be one happy camper once this Friedkin classic arrives on DVD.
biggrin.gif

------------------
--Mike
Amazon Hot 100 DVD's

DannyS

Second Unit
Alaska!? That ain't on the IMDB! Tell me more! what else is missing or deleted! I love this movie!
------------------
Panasonic TX-21M2T TV
Sony DVP 536
Old Panasonic Stereo! :)

Garry Cowell

Stunt Coordinator
This was on Channel 4 (UK) t'other night! Anamorphic 1.77:1 (on DIGITAL anyhow) and looking and sounding great. It also had a 40 seconds intro by Friedkin explaining that the counterfeiting procedure, used in the film, was been copied by people and that some kids stole (counterfeit) money from the set and used it at a store. He then said the treasury office were at that store hours later! LOL!
Oh and as for the alternate ending some one on here said the following can't remember his name (Mark C?)...
Spoiler:Okay, so as usual, the locker room deal goes sour, and Chance gets blown away, point blank, by the shotgun. Vukovich goes on the rampage and takes out Rick Masters, etc., etc. Then, IIRC, we see a news broadcast wrapping up the aftermath of the whole case, and suddenly we realize that we're inside a tiny shack, with two men watching the broadcast. It's Vukovich and...Chance! Somehow, he's alive! Chance manages a painful smile and then we cut to an aerial shot outside the shack. There's a sign that tells us it's a U.S. Government radio relay station, or something like that. We pull out even further, and realize that it's in the middle of nowhere, somewhere way up in the arctic. Apparently, they've been busted down as punishment for their wild and highly illegal campaign against Masters. The End.

DannyS

Second Unit
How? Why? How? Where can I see this alternate ending? How have you seen it? Or have you just read about it?
------------------
Panasonic TX-21M2T TV
Sony DVP 536
Old Panasonic Stereo! :)

Garry Cowell

Stunt Coordinator
The guy who told me about the ending said he saw it at a test screening.
Friedkin has stated that the studio made him shoot it but he never wanted it to be used and I paraphrase something he said...
"Chance's being trying to kill himself the whole movie, hell he jumps of a bridge in the opening 5 minutes. It was obvious he wasn't gonna live!"

Kenneth English

Second Unit
Features wanted in order of importance (to me
biggrin.gif
) :
Anamorphic widescreen transfer
5.1 surround sound
"Making-of" documentary
Director commentary
Isolated score
Please, please, please MGM -- bring this one out! Hell, I'd buy a movie-only edition (but just pretend like you didn't read that...)!
Signed # 6 on petition!
Oh, yeah -- I read about that alternate ending once (I think it was the book Hurricane Billy by Nat Segaloff). Very weird.
Spoiler:How exactly DOES one survive a point-blank shotgun blast to the face, anyway?
confused.gif
This could be useful info.
[Edited last by Kenneth English on September 05, 2001 at 10:44 AM]
[Edited last by Kenneth English on September 05, 2001 at 10:46 AM]

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
I can't agree more with everything said above. This is an awesome film. For me, I'd like an anamorphic transfer, DTS, and isolated score. Some kind of commentary with cast/director would be gravy.
Todd.
------------------
"He'll flip you, flip you for real."

David Coleman

Supporting Actor
This is amazing! I started this thread in June and go so little responses that it shocked me! Didn't know if people cared about this movie. It's nice to know now that people really do care about this film. I consider it one of Friedkin's best and is definitely deserving of a top flight presentation!
Yes, I did sign the petition (#4)!
David

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks