To Light the wall behind the set or not?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DaleI, Jan 16, 2003.

1. DaleI

DaleI Stunt Coordinator

For optimal or best picture quality in watching DVD movies, is lighting the wall behind the RPTV set important? I just saw the AVIA dvd and it said a larger screen size does not require backlighting the set.

The wall behind my soon to be set is wallpapered in a green colored pattern--hardly neutral gray colored walls in my home theater. Would lighting this colored wall be effective??

--Dale

2. Jan Strnad

Jan Strnad Screenwriter

I find watching a 42" screen in a totally darkened room to be a little difficult. I got an $8 GE fluorescent fixture from Home Depot that came with a Daylight (6500K) bulb. While I doubt that the color temp is as accurate as an Ideal-Lume light, my $8 light does make watching a little easier on the eyes.

I don't know about a green background, though. Lighting that up sounds a little spooky.

Jan

3. Mathew Shelby

Mathew Shelby Second Unit

I don't really have a problem with total darkness while watching movies, but girlfriend cannot tolerate it because it gives her headaches. If we have a "movie marathon" night, the bright picture gets to me after a while and I can find myself getting tired.

4. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I actually use a 7w incandescent bulb that points up into the corner to create the "backlight" for my TV. (It's "shielded" so that the only light I see is reflected off the walls. Nothing direct from the bulb itself.) Even though long time ago, I saw that the recommendation was 15w, that seems too bright in my room.

I guess a good question is, for example I have a 32" CRT TV, under what conditions is the "backlighting" necessary or preferred? RPTVs, LCD flat panels, projectors, CRTs, etc? CRT TVs are pretty bright compared to the others, but I've watched movies with and without the backlight, and I still prefer it on. (Properly adjusted set to Avia.)

5. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    From what I understand, the idea is that the smaller the field of view that your TV covers, the more you'll need the backlight. If you have a big 65" TV, but end up sitting 15ft away, that's probably no better than a 32" TV from 8ft away.
    Probably, for a typical feature length movie in progressive scan, you should not need backlighting if the TV image covers >=25-degree of your view or something like that. That's probably roughly what you get at the movie theater if you sit in the back 1/3 of the theater.
    FWIW, 27-degree is something like 7.5ft from a 53" TV.
    Anyway, it all really depends on you since the idea is simply to reduce eye strain.
    _Man_

6. Ryan N

Ryan N Extra

I have a 6500K bulb in a setup similar to Jan's above. We have a 32" and sit between 7.5 and 11 ft away. My wife always prefers having the backlighting on, sometimes I like it off. It's great late at night when the eyes get tired.

Oh- and my walls are a very neutral blue/gray and the set's color temp is 6500K across the board. It's cool how the light seems to match the white light of the television!