What's new

To LCC Owners-LCC Break-In/ Questions & Opinions (1 Viewer)

Robert_CA

Stunt Coordinator
In early Summer I completed work on a 214L vented Tempest (I JUST LOVE IT!) and just recently I finished my LCC. I was wondering how long it takes for the break in. I've got about 25 hours on it so far using various material from Jazz to Classical to several movies (LOTR/FOTR, LOTR/TT, Road To Perdition, Star Wars-AOTC, Shawshank Redemption, Titan AE, Planet Of The Apes, etc). It seems to exibit a lot of presence in the mid to treble region with the Audax tweeter and AV8 in comparison to my old el-cheapo MCM center channel. The LCC is DEFINITELY A LOT MORE EFFICIENT to the extent that I had to a adjust the equlaizer on my Sony A/V receiver to tame that a bit to mate it with my JBL mains. It seems to be a very accurate producer of whatever program material you throw at it and it produces some good bass (I presume that it will get better given time). My basement theater is 14x19x17.5. The LCC presently is on a flexy shelf above my Mits RPTV and my seating position is at about 10 feet. I was wondering if anyone else who has built the LCC has had the same experiences with the mid and tweeter during break in? Is there a way to tame some of the presence it exibits or is it just that I'm "not used to" the sonic character of the LCC? Does anyone know what is the efficiency rating of the LCC? Let me know what you think about this and thanks for your input.
P.S. The only mod's I did to the LCC was to swap out the Sandcast resistors with precision Mills resistors and the cabinet has a 1/12 inch thick front baffle. I also made sure that I had properly connected the AV8.

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
I have Kit281s and the break in time (on the AV8 woofers) was so long it's silly. Initially the AV8s have weak bass and cause some harsh sounding distortion but that goes away as you use them for a long time. I think it may be possible to accelerate woofer break-in by playing heavy bass.

(Presumably the midrange and tweeter have some sort of break-in to deal with too, but with the woofer it's obvious.)

Robert_CA

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for back writing Mike! You are right about the bass content-it could be a bit stronger. By the way, just how long was that break in time on your 281's? My Tempest is beginning to feel it's oats pretty good now.:D

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
I don't know, because I used them for a few months and never really stressed them enough to break them in. I really let them rip for awhile and it got much better. I think the sound's changed since then, but not much. You could probably say the break-in time is hundreds of hours.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks