What's new

To Large HDTV Owners - Audio Compromises? (1 Viewer)

Doug_B

Screenwriter
I'm getting close to finishing my audio upgrade selections and purchases and am starting to do some thinking for my video upgrade. I currently have an old 35" TV. I was wondering if anyone who has a fairly large RPTV has noticed a negative impact on the sound of your audio due to the presence of such a large box between the mains. I would be most interested in those of you who have pretty good speakers and equipment and listen to a reasonable amount of music, as I suspect these cases have the potential to be more noticeable. Does moving the front of the speakers in front of the screen result in noticeable improvement?
BTW, I am seriously considering large ribbon speakers up front (Soundline Audio), which is a dipole ribbon. I would think a dipole has the potential to be even more negatively impacted in this manner than a monopole main, even if the speakers are out from the wall farther than the TV.
Any opinions and experiences in this area are welcome.
Thanks.
Doug

David Judah

Screenwriter
I have a 55" RPTV & rack between two B&W 9NTs and while it's not perfect, it is, IMO, an adequate compromise since I don't have space for a seperate two channel room. Judicious placement will help out quite a bit, of course, especially if there is room on the sides.
In my case, the speakers are out a little over two feet from the rear wall & TV, and plenty away from the side walls. I had a 32" TV on a stand before, taking up less space in the middle, but I can't say my soundstage has suffered too much since I added the RPTV.
It might take a lttle longer to get it the way you want it depending on the room, but with some experimentation you should be able to achieve a satisfactory compromise for music and movies.
Good luck,
DJ

Jeff D.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff
Doug:
The presence of a large RPTV in between the mains is definitely going to compromise the sound. For reference, I had my Toshiba 56H80 in between my Paradigm Reference Studio 40s.
Bringing the mains forward so that they are forward of the front plane of the TV does help things. Also, the further you can move them away from the TV itself, the better. Of course, this is dictated by room size, seating etc.
Recently I built my RPTV into the wall, and now there is no box in between the speakers. The effect on the sound quality of my audio was significant. Everything comes into place much better now, from a soundstaging perspective.
While the results with the TV in the middle are not disastrous, they are somewhat degrading. Consider a set-up like mine, or a more elaborate (read: expensive) front projection setup if sound quality is of paramount importance.
----
Jeff
------------------
"They're coming to get you Barbara..."

John Murphy

Auditioning
Doug
I have to agree with Jeff. I have a 56H80 and use Carver ribbons, AL3's. I went from a Sony 35"XBR to the Toshiba. I also built a large entertainment center to go around the TV so I had to do a lot of moving. Moving and listing in each position helped the soundstage. It is a compromise, but one that I can accept.

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
Having the speakers placed flush on either side of the monitor is the single most prevalent placement error I see. Regardless of the TV's size.
------------------
--Jay
"No one can hear when you're screaming in digital."
My Home Theatre Pictures...
"You're no messiah. You're, you're a movie of the week. You're a ... t-shirt, at best."

Doug_B

Screenwriter
So it appears as if there is potential for it not to be a complete disaster soundwise to have a large TV between the speakers as long as 1) I can get them out in front of the TV somewhat and 2) I have flexibility to move them at least 1-2 feet laterally from the TV, without getting too close to the side walls. Of course, specifics of the speakers, room, etc., etc., will dictate the end result. Basically, the more flexibility I have to try out different positioning, the more chance I would have to minimize sound problems.
Thanks. I will still investigate both RPTV and FPTV setups.
Doug
------------------
"Today is a good day to die." ...Old Lodge Skins

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Doug,
I had to make this decision recently, and went the FPTV route.
I did not like the effects the RPTV had on my stereo imaging at all.
It's a bit more costly, but well worth it in the end IMO.
Regards,
------------------
John Kotches
Contributing Writer
Link Removed

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
I went from a 36" XBR250 Sony tube to a 53" 510 Elite Pro HD, and I didn't notice much of a difference.
My mains were/are always about 1 ft in front of both TVs, so maybe that's why.
Then again, if you've got the cash for big ribbons, FPTV shouldn't be a problem. Loosen up those purse strings! :)
Todd
[Edited last by Todd Hochard on November 15, 2001 at 10:50 PM]

William Ward

Supporting Actor
I too put my mains in "front" of my 55" HDTV. I also put my center channel on two bookshelf speaker stands in front of the TV so that all three speakers are on the same basic plane. This does create an odd appearance but when I watch my movies with lights down, you can't really notice it. I should have pictures up by the middle of next week.
------------------
William
Go Bucs!!
MyDVDs

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
William,
That will certainly help out, but some people don't have adequate space to put their speakers a foot or two in front of an RPTV that itself projects out into the room two feet or so.
If 1280x720 Plasmas weren't so damned expensive, I'd own one of those instead
wink.gif

Regards,
------------------
John Kotches
Contributing Writer
Link Removed

Doug_B

Screenwriter
If 1280x720 Plasmas weren't so damned expensive, I'd own one of those instead
Even with the video quality compromises that exist with this technology today (per the literature; I have no experience here)?
Doug
------------------
"Today is a good day to die." ...Old Lodge Skins

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Yes Doug, even with the compromises video wise I'd go with the plasma.
I'm by no means the video expert that others are, and by the time Plasmas/LCoS/LCDs are down to the affordable price point, I think the bigger issues will be solved.
Regards,
------------------
John Kotches
Contributing Writer
Link Removed

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks