What's new

To Kill a Mockingbird - worth buying? (1 Viewer)

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
I'm a little hesitant these days to purchase anything Universal, but the price seems pretty good for this title. It appears to be OAR and includes a commentary track and featurette. Bottom Line: Is this the most definitive version we are likely to get and is it worth picking up?

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
wonderfull story and film.
made with, and full of love, childhood awe and mystery.
Peck is a hero.
If only UNIVERSAL saw fit to make this 16x9...

Blu

Screenwriter
Only if you want to see a movie about character and integrity.
Only if you want to see a one of the best movies ever filmed.
And only if you want to see one of the legendary Robert Duvall's earliest performances and I believe film debut.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Universal recently had the entire film digitally restored by Cinesite (www.cinesite.com has a great article on it, plus examples... as well as Robert Harris' restoration of the Williamsburg film).

A new 16x9 DVD from this restoration would be justified.

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
Just to go a little OT, I was very interested in the feature on the Williamsburg movie restoration. Although I have never seen this particular one, I have long had a fascination with the fate of movies shot for musuems and other settings like the 1964 New York World's Fair. Two that come to mind are the original film shown at the Franklin Court musuem in Philadelphia which had Howard Da Silva reprising his "1776" role as Franklin, and the Billy Graham movie "Man In The Fifth Dimension" shot in Todd A-0 70mm and shown at the World's Fair in 1964 and 1965.

I hope the work on the Williamsburg movie will heighten the awareness of what other historical legacies in filmmaking need to be rescued before it's too late.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
Denying yourself the purchase of a film just because a certain Studio owns it is not a good thing to do IMHO. Buy it, you'll enjoy it.

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Great Film, this should be in everyone's dvd library. I have one and so does my 11 year old son. It is also one of his favorite movies.:D :emoji_thumbsup:

Stephen_Ri

Stunt Coordinator
Certainly worth it. Sometimes we see non-anamorphic and imagine something horrible. I think that if a good percentage of this forum looked at the movie in anamorphic and then in letterbox they wouldn't see much difference as far as quality is concerned. Obviously though it is a convenience issue for 16:9 TV owners.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
A wonderful movie, and should be in everyone's collection even if it were colorised pan and scam. As it is, the transfer is just fine.

Chuck L

Screenwriter
Here is a another vote for this fine film. Hands down, it is one of the most sincere movies ever made in the history of cinema. They really did Harper Lee's classic novel proud.

Plugging that...if you haven't read the book, DO IT.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I have the Widescreen VHS. It's one of my favorite films, but I've been holding out for an anamorphic DVD.

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter
Well, let's not push it. ;)

In all seriousness, though, I normally never recommend widescreen titles that are not anamorphically enhanced since I myself am a snobby owner of a 16x9 display. However, this disc is one of the few exceptions that I have made to that rule. The transfer is very nice, and I highly recommend disc to those who love the film.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks