What's new

To keep my Integra 7.4 or not (1 Viewer)

predgw

Agent
Real Name
Greg
Hey guys.
I am about half done my dedicated 26'x14' home theater room. I am thinking ahead to the components and I have questions. I want to be able to listen to a Blu-ray movie with the true HD lossless sound. However, my intergra 7.4 receiver that I bought for $1,200 in '04 does not have HDMI inputs, component only. I was originally thinking I would need a new receiver, but I am wondering if I could buy a separate processor and keep the Integra has a power amp. I don't now a lot about how the separates work so I am wondering if this is an option. Or better yet, what would the experts, (you guys) do. My budget for a new piece if equipment is probably a $1,000

P.S. My speakers are from definitive technology. Every speaker has a built in sub, which means they all draw power.

Thanks

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
Hi Greg, I would keep the Integra 7.4, you have a great receiver. For lossless sound you can use the multichannel analogue inputs on the receiver, providing your Blu-Ray Player has multichannel analogue outputs.

If you're looking for an upgrade, consider using the pre-outs on the receiver to connect an additional multichannel poweramp. For instance, a couple of Outlaw 2200 monoblocks to drive your front speakers.

Cheers

predgw

Agent
Real Name
Greg
Thanks for the reply. See, this is where I am loss with the entire deal of running separates, and for that matter. True high def DVDs. I thought I needed hdmi, version 1.3 to get true HD sound. But you say I could run it through an anolog multichannel. is that correct? I am confused.

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
Hi Greg, you can indeed achieve full Dolby TrueHD via analogue:

Dolby Technology - Dolby True HD Compatibility Information for Next Generation High Definition DVD Players

As for separates, here's a quick primer..

integrated amp = pre-amp + poweramp
stereo receiver = pre-amp + poweramp + radio tuner + video switching
pre-pro = pre-amp + surround processor + video switching
audio video receiver = pre-amp + surround processor + poweramp + radio tuner + video switching

If you are looking to build a multichannel separates system, this would usually consist of a pre-pro and a poweramp. Many on this forum use an audio video receiver as their pre-pro, and add a separate multichannel poweramp.

predgw

Agent
Real Name
Greg
Thanks Alon.
So if I bought a good blu-ray player and keep my Integra and bought a power amp as a separate, what type of connection would I use to get the true lossless sound from the blu-ray to the speakers, optical? The video would have to be component which means I could only achieve 1080i, correct. I guess I want to know if it is possible to keep the integra, buy a separate component, and get a 1080p picture on a 100" screen with true hd lossless sound? Thanks again for the help.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

To get 1080p and lossless sound using your Integra, you would have to have the following:

A Blu-ray player with at least 5.1 analog outs (7.1 would allow 7.1 output) and the capability for internal decoding of all desired codecs.

5/7.1 analog RCA connections from the BR player to the analog ins on the Integra.

HDMI from the BD player to HDMI in on the projector.

This setup would preclude any video switching from the Integra and would dedicate one of the HDMI ins on the projector to Bly-ray only (unless using an external HDMI switch).

predgw

Agent
Real Name
Greg
Ok I think I am starting to understand this. I could pony up for a good blu-ray and have the blu-ray perform the decoding, or I could buy a better receiver with HDMI inputs. Is one better than the other? It would seem that the less the signal needs to be run through components the better it would be. Is that correct? Thanks

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

The "which one sounds better" when it comes to decoding in the player vs. decoding in the receiver is a debate of religious proportions; approaching that of "which cable/wire sounds better". Some will claim there is no difference (lossless is lossless), while others will claim differently . . . with just as much conviction.

predgw

Agent
Real Name
Greg
I see. Then by that admission, both will most likely sound great, so I guess the thing to do is get a good blu-ray and run the signal through that. Thanks for the help.

Users who are viewing this thread