To import or not to import HP and the Philosopher's/Sorceror's Stone?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Keith Paynter, Apr 4, 2002.

1. Keith Paynter

Keith Paynter Screenwriter

I pose a question to members on both sides of the 49th parallel:

Since HP had 2 different titles depending on where you saw it, would you see yourself ordering an imported copy to get the alternate title? (IE Canadians importing 'Sorceror' and Americans importing 'Philosopher')

I only saw this in theaters once, but I seem to recall them calling it The Philospher's Stone during the film. Was is called The Sorceror's Stone directly in the movie itself in the U.S.?

2. Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson Cinematographer

3. Chris Sypal

Chris Sypal Stunt Coordinator

4. Kevin Fox

Kevin Fox Stunt Coordinator

I'll be picking up the disc as an import from Canada. I've read all the books in their original British form (the American editions have had more than just the title changed), so I plan to keep my Harry Potter collection consistent.

I just don't understand the need to Americanize a British "language" book, especially one intended for children. If anyone is going to be curious enough to find out what certain unfamiliar words mean, it's kids. Why do Americans consistently patronize their children? Challenge them at every turn, I say.

I suppose it's just another example of the dumbing down of Americans, something I'm determined not to do to my son.

5. Ken Seeber

Ken Seeber Supporting Actor

I've bought a couple of DVDs from www.dv-depot.com and I can tell you that ordering from a Canadian e-tailer is no more difficult than ordering from an American one. If I order HP I'll likely get the "original language" version from the Great White North, just for the novelty of it.

6. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

If you want to stay true to the original title of the book outside of the US and the want of its writer, then certainly get the Canadian version. It's as simple as that really.

Dan

7. PhilipG

PhilipG Cinematographer

Since Warner is handling both versions, I suspect it'll just be an angle change at key points (similar to what Buena Vista sometimes does with alternate French titles). So for the Canadian version, they'll enable the "Philosopher's" angles by default. If they do this, no doubt there'll be an Easter Egg to "see the hidden new version of the film". [​IMG]
    Still, to be on the safe side, I'll get the Canadian version...

8. cafink

cafink Producer

Carl Fink
    How do the supplemental materials on the Canadian DVD compare to those on the American DVD?

9. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

They're identical, Carl.

Dan

10. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

I'm importing a Philosopher's Stone version. Sorceror's Stone is just such a silly idea.

11. paul o'donnell

paul o'donnell Second Unit

Philospher is the original title of the book, so that's the way I'm going thank you [​IMG]

12. Rob W

Rob W Supporting Actor

Robert
    There shoud be no other differences in the two discs beyond the title / dialogue changes since both discs will originate from WHV US, as does all Warner product sold in Canada.