What's new

To Home Theater from Parasound stereo (1 Viewer)

DaveZee

Auditioning
I hvae Parasound pream/amp (PLD-1100/HCA1000) but am going to home theater. I recently moved to a condo (common walls) so can't blow the roof off anymore.
I'll probably go with a good A/V receiver (good deal on new Sony DA5ES from a friend) but would like to utilize the Parasound amp if possible. After reading Trevor's recent post on powering rears with dedicated amp, I'm thinking of using the HCA1000 to power the rears and the receiver to bi-amp the fronts and power the CC.
Does this sound like a good plan/strategy? Or should I just keep it simple and power all with the receiver, and either mothball or sell my Parasound separates (includes tuner)? Other thoughts?
------------------
DZ

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Welcome, Dave!
I'd stay with separates.
Start a trust fund for yourself and hold on tight until October when Outlaw, hopefully, releases their Model 950 pre-amp with 24 bit/192 kHz DACs, DTS-ES Discrete 6.1, ProLogic II, adjustable bass cross-overs, and software upgradeability (the big draw features). $899 (or possibly less at the introduction).
Then, get a more powerful 5 channel Parasound amp (like the HCA-1205A) and use the existing two channel Parasound amp to power the center back speakers.
Just a thought.
Dan
------------------
Stop HDCP and 5C for HDTV signals-- Your rights are at risk!
[Edited last by Dan Hitchman on July 29, 2001 at 11:02 AM]

RicP

Screenwriter
Hi Dave!
Welcome to the HTF and it's good to see another Hudson County Representative!
biggrin.gif

I would keep the HCA-1000 and use it to power the Mains. If you're set on getting the reciever (as opposed to getting a 3 channel amp) then use the reciever to power the center and rears. I know this goes against the usual advice, but the reason I say this is becaues you seem to be an audio guy, and keeping your mains powered with the separate amp will keep your stereo music the same as you currently enjoy it in addition to ensuring that you're using the better amplification for the front mains.
Also, it's somewhat difficult to Bi-Amp main speakers with a reciever unless you utilize the A and B speaker connections which isn't always the best way to do things for various reasons. Of course you could run pre-out lines into the 5.1 direct ins as well, but that will prevent you from running DVD-Audio or Multi-Channel SACD if you wish to do that in the future.
I'd recommend staying with separates if you can, but if you get the reciever, I'd use the internal amps for the center & rears.
I use Parasound gear too (HCA-1500A) and I think it's fabulous. Keep us informed! :)
------------------
http://www.ricperrott.com
Ric Perrott
[Edited last by RicP on July 29, 2001 at 12:30 PM]

BruceD

Screenwriter
Like Ric, I would say take the main L&R pre-outs from your A/V receiver, route them to the L&R analog-ins for your PLD 1100 pre-amp (I use the the "video" analog-in on my 1100) and then route the PLD 1100 outputs to your HCA1000 amp.
This way you can hook up your CD player to the PLD 1100 "Direct" analog-in and only turn on the PLD 1100 and HCA1000 when listening to 2-channel.
When you use the A/V receiver for HT, be sure to mark where the volume control on the PLD1100 was when calibrating the whole HT system to 75dB with SPL meter. My system uses a 12 o'clock position for HT and I like about a 9 o'clock position for 2-channel CD.
BruceD

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
When I supplemented my Denon 5700 receiver with three Marantz MA700 Monoblocks I used them to power the front soundstage (L/C/R), and have the receiver powering the surround channels. I would never consider using the Monoblocks (better amps than those in the receiver) to power the surround channels for a number of reasons.
[*]The surround channels are used mainly for effects and not for the major soundtrack in movies and most audio, therefore the amplication requirements are not as stringent.
[*]As others stated, if you are an audio guy at all (I assume you are) then the L & R channels are your most important for music so why not concentrate the best equipment in that area?

I added a third monoblock for the center channel because I want a balanced front soundstage for movies and the center channel is usually the most important channel for video (dialogue, etc.) If you only have two parasound amps then using them for L&R is the way to go, but three would, in my opinion, be even better.

My 2 cents.

------------------
RAF
[Demented Video Dude since 1997]
[Computer Maven since 1956]
["PITA" since 1942]

Link Removed

DaveZee

Auditioning
Thanks for the ideas. And yes I'm definitely an audio guy first. But one of the great things about HT is that there's lots of options to explore and consider.
Based on feedback, I'll either go for separates (would lean to Parasound) or use the receiver to power the rears and center. If I go with separates, anyone have recommendation on a 3-channel amp to compliment my HCA1000 vs. getting the 5-channel Parasound and selling the 1000?
------------------
DZ

Mike Voigt

Supporting Actor
Well, IIRC Parasound used to make a 3-channel amp, the HCA-1203 (and 1203A and 2003...). That would be the easiest solution - except it is considered by Parasound as a vintage product... meaning they don't build it anymore.
You may want to get another HCA1000, and perhaps a third. That may be overkill, but you'd have 6 channels of identical amplification - kinda nice if something should happen to one or the other of the units.
Alternatively, if you get an HCA-1201A to complement a second HCA1000, you're set that way.
Or, get three HCA-1201A's... that would definitely do it.
HTH.
Mike

JohanK

Second Unit
A used HCA-2003A would be a nice choice. I believe Parasound made a 1203 at some point; if you could find a used one, that would be another way to go.
------------------
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/bbs/equipment/28687.html
Link Removed

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks