1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

To HDTV or to NOT, To 16:9 or 4:3?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Roy H, Mar 5, 2002.

1. Roy H

Roy H Stunt Coordinator

Should we really care? Let's just say in the worst case scenario that every HDTV sold in the past will be obsolete in the next 8 months, do you regret taking the hook so quickly? If I bought a HDTV I would be thinking about the money I put out (Thats just me). In all honesty who would have thought that the HDTV's that many may have purchased would be in danger of being worthless in the very near future? Umm, am I the only person here that thought HDTV was a somewhat (NEW) technology, (am I) ? OK let's face it, some jumped on the HDTV bandwagon and most did not.

Now we have the issue of widescreen (16:9) or (4:3). The way I see it, the 4:3 people are in the best position today. The odds are if you decided to stay 4:3 for now, you may have said (NO) to the HDTV movement. I for one did not take the HDTV, or widescreen bait yet, and I am very glad that I did not.

I still have a bad trust issue with the tech movement. And if the likes of (M/S), and (Mr Gates) have not shown us the underlined issues of the movement clearly enough, then who is to blame?

Can we blame ourself perhaps? And if we lack the fortitude to do that, should we drag as many down with us as we can and then all cry foul later?

Just my thoughts, and my opininion!

Roy.

2. Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker Screenwriter

Roy- In my opinion, I would say the widescreen/4:3 and analog/HD are seperate debates; the reasons to buy widescreen hinge primarily on what kinds of content you watch on your HT system. If you watch a lot of broadcast TV/cable/satellite or play a lot of games on your set, a 4:3 set would probably be a good bet. I rarely watch TV on my projector, mostly DVDs; thus, a 16:9 display matches my needs best.

HDTV is a "new" technology, but the standards have been a long time in the making, and sets have been sold for over 5 years now. The uproar over obsolecence is primarily due to certain parties trying to revise something that already has a decent foothold in the market. While certainly most people haven't "taken the bait" on HDTV, 2.5 million people own HD sets; certainly not a small number. And these are not small investments either; imagine if the US Government declared all Cadillacs manufactured between 1995 and 2002 unsafe and forbid driving them ever again! Certainly not everyone drives a Cadillac, but what is to stop them from declaring some thing else "non-standard"?

I doubt seriously anything will transpire making the current standard "obsolete" in the next 3-4 years or so, even if the studios got their way. There just isn't the market yet.

3. Mike I

Mike I Supporting Actor

Talking about a flame bait thread with no redeeming value..This is it if I ever saw one.

4. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

Roy,

Have you ever seen HDTV? I've seen it for two solid years. There are currently five channels I have access to that have a significant amount of HDTV programming (ABC, CBS, PBS, HDNet, HBO). That adds up to thousands of hours a year of visual quality that FAR exceeds what the pathetically outdated NTSC system is capable of. It's most definitely been worth it.

Have you ever seen the benefits of 16:9 (especially on anamorphic DVDs)? Everyone who HAS says it is WELL worth it. The only issue of any significance is that of burn in, and unless you make a flat commitment to watching everything in 4:3 (which is going to become less and less common), you face that issue with a 4:3 screen also.

In addition, my HDTV capable projector shows DVDs at a scaled resolution of 1280 x 960, in PROGRESSIVE mode, as well as 16:9 anamorphic widescreen. The picture quality is far, FAR superior to that from a 4:3 interlaced (non HDTV capable) display.

In short, it's very much worth it to have a 16:9 HDTV.

5. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

What Robert said. Despite the ever-resurrecting threats from Hollywood, the 16:9 tide is now inexorable and gathering even more momentum. Those whose eyes have been opened by the HDTV experience become as ardent and passionate as Robert has. I've seen breathtaking HD images on a friend's 56-inch Toshiba. It's one of those "never-going-back" experiences.

Political imbroglios come and go, but the quest for excellence is always there. Take the plunge into HD capability. I am.

6. AjayM

AjayM Screenwriter

7. Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker Screenwriter

8. MikeyWeitz

MikeyWeitz Supporting Actor

I will have to argue the comparison with the Pro logic and Dolby digital. A Tv purchased now is being sold as HDTV. It is not buying HDTV now, then coming out with newer technology called something else, so I dont think that is a fair comparison. My HDTV says right on it, HDTV and I will be pissed if it won't be able to play HDTV in the future. I think it is a moot point anyway because I feel there is no way that current HDTV's will be obsolete. Either the new copyright stuff will not be implented as they currently want it, or there will be a way to be able to view the HDTV using some kind of digital to analog (then back to digital in the TV) converter.

9. Roy H

Roy H Stunt Coordinator

Hey (Mike I), I will keep this thread on topic. I may have a different opinion then you, but I will alway's respect your opinion! Please do not try to smoke and mirror my post!

Roy.

10. AjayM

AjayM Screenwriter