To H/K or not to H/K that is the question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian_Tho, Jan 17, 2003.

1. Brian_Tho

Brian_Tho Stunt Coordinator

I have narrowed the choices down.

VR-6060 or H/K 225,320

I can get these around the same price.

1-Is the sound quality on the vr-6060 up to par with the h/k as far as movies go.
    2-The H/K lacks alot of features like 6.1es,ex,component, but I read they make up for it in amp, and quality.
    3-Are there still problems with the lfe channel on the H/K, or any other defects. Read about this on the Home theater spot forum.
    4-My room is medium to large will these provide ample power?

2. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

Brian
    The truth of the matter is that you cannot get the answer to your questions from other people. Their rooms are different, their listening preferences are different, and last but not least, there are subtle differences in sound quality.
    I only found this out when I was able to arrange to have 3 different receivers at home at the same time. It is important to realize that no one receiver or power amp has ALL the best qualities.
    When I did the comparison, I found this one had a little more bass, that one had more punch, the other one had the most natural sound.
    Unfortunately, it is not very practical to get several receivers at home to make this side by side comparison.
    I can tell you this. I ended up buying the receiver that had the most natural sound. It also had other features that I liked like complete control of all functions on the remote. 4 years later I bought a large power amp. Of course I was dying to see if this 800 watt amp would blow my receiver out of the water. Guess what? The big amp was perhaps slightly better, but we are talking very subtle indeed.
    HK has had a serious problem for several years now. The AVR 65 was a disaster, and the AVR 8000 has a design defect.
    As an owner of the Kenwood 6070, as well as the big amp and several other receivers, I can tell you that the amp in the Kenwood is very good indeed.
    I don't know much about the lower line HKs so I can only say that the recent history of HK is not good. They do not do enough beta testing to get all the bugs out before they release new products and then when the bugs start to surface, they really drag their feet on any kind of fix.
    Did you know that HK is saying that all the AVR 8000s "meet spec" so they are not going to do any fixing?
    Power is a good thing and the 92 watts X 6 tested on the 6070 is a very strong showing.
    So as far as Cinema use the Kenwood is probably more powerful and better for your large listening space.
    It is in music listening that the real but subtle differences emerge.
    At some point you just have to go with your gut instinct and buy something. If you have any serious complaints you should be able to return it.
    After going from an $1,100 receiver used with an 800 watt amp, the Kenwood 6070 exceeded my expectations and the 92 watts X 6 is a very strong showing.
    Artie

3. Brian_Tho

Thanks Artie. I know, I have bugged alot of people on this forum regarding this subject, but I think the sole purpose of this board is to get the message out. After reading your post, and a friend and I going to the CC my mind is made up. VR-6060 for me! From what I can tell its the same receiver as the 6070 minus the thx and a few minor addons. I like the H/K's, but I am not a music audiophile. I do listen to quit abit of music though. My biggest thing is home theater. I read alot of info on other forums about the H/K problems that is what prompted me to ask about them. Once again thanks for your help regarding my ever growing pursuit for the perfect receiver.

4. TimothyE

TimothyE Stunt Coordinator

HK.

I'm sure the Kenwood is a fine receiver (other than no HD component switching). It may not mean much to you, but I know a lot more people sold on HK than those sold on Kenwood.

Also, as I look around the various boards, I find a lot more posts recommending HK than those recommending Kenwood.

I don't know how the Kenwood can sound more "natural" than HK. I'll bet if you check out the frequency spectrum analyzer graphs you'd have a hard time coming to that conclusion.

All the best,

Tim

5. Brian_Tho

Yea you may be right but the last time I checked you cannot hear graphs. I will say this I am sure they are great receivers I still like them, but I have heard of two many problems with them, and I feel for the money the receiver should work flawlessly. I know there are lemons here and there, but with all the posts I have read there are some bugs that need to be worked out. I wouldnt have any problems with one if they had more features for the money. 800 just to get component switching is a little outrageous. progressive scan dvd will work fine through the kenwood. I have a 36" Toshiba with component shouldnt have any problems there.

6. Britton

Britton Supporting Actor

I'm going to recommend you not go with H/K. I got a AVR8000 with the buzzing defect in the center channel and when I called up H/K customer support, the representative who took my call was extremely rude and condescending. If I could have reached over the phone line and throttled the man, I would have. However, others have reported that H/K has been somewhat cooperative, so I guess your mileage with them will vary.

7. Rich Chiavaroli

Rich Chiavaroli Stunt Coordinator

Brian -

For $800, I'd assume you're talking about the 325. I think you get a lot more than component switching for that. Over the Kennwood you get -

7 amplified channels
    192k/24-Bit Capable
    MP3 Decoding
    On Screen Display
    2 Zones
    Full pre-outs
    7.1 inputs
    A-BUS
    H/K's Triple crossover
    Logic 7
    A lower THD

And supposidly better amp build.

Now those features might not be woth the extra money to you. But the decision becomes a little tougher when you see that Costo is selling this $799 receiver for $499.

8. CraigF

CraigF Cinematographer

Craig
    I am listening to a Kenwood right now as I type. I have two H/K 8000's and one H/K 320 here. The Kenwood, and all other recent Kenwoods I've seen, are not built to even the quality level of the 320. Open them up, or shine a flashlight through the grilles. Don't know if you know much about electronics, but it's really obvious why the Kenwoods are cheaper for apparently "more". BTW, I like Kenwood, have several pieces of their gear, but don't use it in any "critical" audio situations. I have always found it to be reliable stuff though, more than one would suspect from its internal build. Don't be misled by "board bitching" about tiny issues, I do it myself sometimes, little issues get blown out of all proportion by everybody piling on. Kenwood has way more problem issues and discussion with certain of its pieces, which obviously did not work properly even when they were released to the public...I'm not talking tiny bugs here, but BIG operational problems. Nobody is totally immune to this, modern A/V gear is pretty sophisticated stuff and we demand a lot from it.

9. David James

David James Stunt Coordinator

I mentioned in another thread that I a/b compared the 6070 and 320. I could tell them apart but realized I could be happy with either. I hooked up my 6070 yesterday and ran through a few select scenes from my DVD's and so far I'm pleased.

Regarding quality. If you read the boards you'll realize that no vendor is immune from quality issues.

Also, so far I'm pleased with the THX feature of the receiver. Time will tell of course.

Arthur post hits the nail on the head, good advice.

10. CraigF

CraigF Cinematographer

Craig
    My point was that Kenwood is cheap for a very good reason. It is no giant killer brand, like it was in some ways 25-30 years ago. They compete in the market, and price in line with their sonic and build quality peers...no better or worse. As I mentioned, they do seem amazingly reliable, so they have learned how to do cheap well.

11. StevenK

StevenK Second Unit