What's new

To-Go Tipping Etiquette (1 Viewer)

JasonMC

Stunt Coordinator
My wife and I went to Chili's to go tonight. I went in to get the food and they ran my debit card. On the reciept was a place for a tip. I didn't leave any tip since they really didn't do anything (except the cooks).

What does everybody else do with tips when ordering to go from restaurants?

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
If I have it delivered, I tip the same as if it were a regular restaurant--15-20%.

If I go and pick it up, I don't tip at all.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
My rule is no service, no tip. If I pick it up, then I'm doing the food service and I don't give a tip.

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
Agreed. If I'm going to the trouble of picking it up, then I don't tip. (FWIW, I think the tip line always shows up regardless of whether you're picking it up or having it delivered.)

Mike Voigt

Supporting Actor
I do tip - there is a little service involved, like getting the food together, checking on any other needs, and on occasion a free drink while waiting, etc. - and for that I leave 10%.

If I use the place frequently, maybe even 15%. That way, I assure myself of excellent service next time - a tactic which has always worked...

Mike

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter

Same here if it's one of my normal restaurants where I know the staff. If a bartender or normal waitstaff also has to handle to-go orders, it is a pain for them and a tip will ensure prompt and accurate service !

Some restaurants have dedicated "to go" areas, so there I only tip a dollar or two depending on the size of the meal.

Scott Tucker

Stunt Coordinator
I will always leave a buck or two since the bartender or waitstaff handles the order for me. If you don't, and it is a place you frequent often, you will wait longer to get service next time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks