1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

"To Gillian..." in p&s AND widescreen (sort of)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Gary Cliff, Mar 26, 2002.

1. Gary Cliff

Gary Cliff Stunt Coordinator

Paul Russell over at DVD Angle has written a very interesting article on "anamorphic pan & scan": (http://www.dvdangle.com/articles/dvd_101/index.html), a process which gives you both anamorphic widescreen and P&S off the same transfer (the P&S being "on-the-fly"). The problem is that only widescreen TVs can get the anamorphic widescreen; conventional TVs are forced to get the P&S version.
    At the end of the article, he mentions that "To Gillian..." (along with "Sweet Hearts Dance") uses this process. And that means that all of you out there with widescreen TVs do indeed get these movies in anamorphic widescreen!

2. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

I'm still not buying it. I want anamorphic widescreen that I can view on my current 4:3 television in widescreen and my future 16:9 television in anamorphic.

I also won't beleive this is what will show up on widescreen televisions until someone with a widescreen TV tells me otherwise.

3. Benson R

Benson R Supporting Actor

I don't think this is anything new. Pan and Scan on the fly has been discussed before. Also I believe the author is mistaken. You can set your dvd player to 16:9, 4:3 or 4:3 letterbox which would turn off pan and scan on the fly. This has always been part of the dvd spec so it is nothing new. I believe it hasn't been used before because often a full screen transfer makes use of additional information not meant to be seen on the top and bottom as well as cropping the sides. Plus the player would have to zoom in to much on a 2.35 aspect ratio movie which would make it only useable on 1.85 aspect ratio movies.

4. Rain

Rain Producer

Just so you know, this came to my attention last week as a result of the petition I started.

I am currently having the validity of this claim looked into.

I will let you know what I find out.

5. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Wouldn't your player correctly show the image for a 1.33:1 TV in 4:3 LBX instead of 4:3?

6. LukeB

LukeB Cinematographer

I believe that this is incorrect, since why on earth wouldn't CTHE mention that the DVD includes both widescreen and fullscreen. I believe people are reading too much into "Anamorphic Video" which is the standard CTHE terminology, and is most likely a mislabeling and not this anamorphic + pan & scan deal.

7. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

I did see a cover for one Columbia title (forget which one it was) that was only pan-and-scan but said "Anamorphic Video" on it.

It's possible these might be forcing players to crop the picture on 4x3 TVs even if they're set to "Letterbox"; I've noticed most disc menus are 16x9 but the sides are cropped off on 4x3 TVs instead of showing them letterboxed.