To get DD 5.1 from a receiver.

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Norris, Jan 10, 2004.

1. Norris

Norris Stunt Coordinator

Hi all,

Don't know if I'm doing something wrong, but I can only get DD 5.1 from one of my receiver's output. Here's the set up: receiver has input/output for 3 dvd players. I connect my DVD changer to the receiver using the optical cable, and 5.1 comes out the speakers and is shown as such on the receiver's display. On my other 2 dvd players, I use RCA cables, and only get Dolby Pro Logic. Is using RCA the reason I can't get 5.1? If I sound like a newbie, that's because I am.[​IMG]

Thanks!

2. gene c

gene c Producer

Gene
    Yes Norris, you have to use a digital connection to get 5.1 DD (or DTS). Either toslink (optical) or coax. Gene

3. Norris

Norris Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Gene,

One more question, I notice that the coax connection looks very much like an RCA type (I'm referring to the red and white cable for left and right audio), but I know it's not the same since coax transmit digital signal. Any harm in using an RCA cable and plugging it into the coax in/output?

4. Rogozhin

Rogozhin Stunt Coordinator

They are both 75ohm cables-it will work but not quite as well since the coax is designed for PCM transmittion.

rogo