To get a SVS sub or to get surround speakers and an amp...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Adam C., Jan 31, 2003.

1. Adam C.

Adam C. Stunt Coordinator

Here is my situation:

I have a JBL sub that the amp broke, basically I think the sub is worthless now. I really do not have enough money right now for the SVS 25-31PCi that I want ($570).
    But right now I could get a JBL NSPii set because I have no surrounds or rear surrounds yet. And I have the chance to buy a Samson S700 amp for my main speakers (JBL N310).
    BTW, my receiver is the Pioneer VSXD811S.

So it is:

A). Wait and save up for a SVS 25-31PCi ($570)
    or
    B). Buy JBL NSPii ($230) and a Samson S700 ($250).
    or
    C). Just buy the JBL NSPii

Do I really need a Samson S700 for my JBL N310?

Thanks for any input.

2. Anthony Lengyel

Save and buy the SVSPCi.. I had a JBL PSW-1200 sub that I thought was great, but after hearing soooo much talk about these SVS subs and their liberal return policy I thought I would give it a go.

Only thing I can say now is that "You can have my SVS sub when you pry my cold dead fingers from it" It is AWESOME, believe all the hype. They are the Paradigms of the SUB world .. world caliber performance with a realistic price.

3. Tim Morton

Tim Morton Stunt Coordinator

You seem to be very close to the SVS money...$480? If so save a bit more and get the big thing out of the way. You know the SCS is a slam dunk...the rest can come when it comes.

4. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

I personally would rather have sound that surrounds me than sound that goes extremely low. Your N310s should go well below 40hz, so i would say you'll enjoy the addition of the surrounds much more.

I'm not saying a sub isn't important. It gives a movie it's impact. But i think sound that envelops you is more important than sound that hits you.

That being said, I personally would go with the NSP1 package and hold off on the amp. It really would be overkill for Northridge series speakers. I recently upgraded from N28 mains and an NSP1 package rounding out a 7.1 setup, and the entire series is a great price/performance line.

For the $480 you have now, you could almost get the NSP1 package AND build a Adire Shiva based sub with a PE 250W plate amp that would run neck and neck with and, quite probably, outperform the 25-31 PCi or 20-39 PCi. My Shiva is flat below 15hz in my room and I've measured it at 117db @ 20hz. I'd like to see the 25-31 PCi or 20-39 PCi do that! It's clean, tight, and really an amazing sub, especially considering it only cost $250 for the sub, amp, and materials, including stained oak trim and in inset glass top. I was able to find a used driver for $75 shipped, but even buying new you could get the driver, amp, port, and wood for a basic box for under $300.

Hope this helps [​IMG]

5. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

I'd advise picking up a plate amp from partsexpress so you can use the JBL and then move it into a Diy project in the near future. This way you can also pick up the Nsp package as well and have the best of both worlds now and later.

6. Adam C.

If I go for a DIY sub...Could I use my broke JBL PSW-D112 as the box?(It is just the amp that is broke) How big is the Adire sub? If is 12" I could just upgrade the amp and then later add the Adire sub?

Where can I do some more research/instructions on a DIY Adire sub?

7. Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer

That's a definite possibility. Getting the PE amp to replace the dead JBL amp would be the first step. The Shiva is a 12" driver and would drop right in.

The only thing is, you would probably have to change the port length to get a proper tuning point.

The first thing to do is figure out the volume of the JBL enclosure then download WinISD and figure out what port length you would need. Then see if the port length you need for the optimum tuning point will fit in that box. If not, it's probably not worth the trouble.

If you can't get a Shiva to work in that box, I'd just replace the amp on the JBL until you can build a suitable (and alot bigger) box for a Shiva, Tempest, Stryke AV12, Dayton 12" DVC, 12" Titanic, or another of the many great drivers out there.

Hope this helps [​IMG]

8. Adam C.

thanks, right now I plan on ordeing a new amp then upgrading the woofer later. Any specific amps to look at? I looked at partsexpress and there are about 4 250 watt amps and I am not sure which one to get. Any other sites to look for an amp? I plan on ordering one this week.

9. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

I'd calculate the box size first and push a numbers thru winisd before settling with a woofer. There are many good suppliers for this hobby and you should be able to find a decent matchup for this (most likely the DVC 12 from partsexpress might work better than the Shiva in the typical mass market sub due to box size constraint). The other problem is that most of the Diy subs are actually larger than the so called equivalent diameter home sub and might require a touches from a router, sander, or dremel to fit correctly.

Go check out the Diy advanced section of this forum for a plate amp advice, I moved away from these and prefer standalone amps but you will definitely get better suggestions from some there and maybe even advice on doing some of the resistor mods to eliminate the artificial boosts and high pass filtering to prevent the woofer from bottoming.

10. Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer

From PE you want the basic 250W plate amp... not the one w/ bass boost, and not the one w/ the remote control. Right now the one you want is on sale for $119 w/ free shipping.

Also, the 12" DVC would make a solid replacement for the stock JBL sub if you decide to go that route... just remember you're going to want to run the numbers in WinISD to see what kind of port length changes you're going to need to make, and make sure they're realistic.

Hope this helps [​IMG]

11. Adam C.

Ok,

That amp is on sale now for $119 (and free shipping)
    and I have the chance to get an Adire Shiva for $100 shipped.

The JBL box is 17.5" x 17.5" x 19.1"

I am new to the whole tuning to specific Hz. As I play with WinISd what should I be looking as far as tuning it to Hz? I need to know this so I can see if I can get see if I'll be able to get the correct size port.

Or I could just order a premade box from partsexpress that is 3.0 cubic feet for $200 shipped and I could sell the JBL on ebay for about $60. I am at college and really do not have access to building my own box.

12. Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer

The pre-made PE box is very well built, but you'll still have to add the port and amp. You would also most likely have to enlarge the cutout on the JBL box for the PE amp, so some tools are going to be required regardless.

you could make the cuts you need on the PE box or JBL box w/ just a scroll saw or router, so it wouldn't take nearly as much tooling and work as building a box from scratch.

13. Adam C.

thanks guys I am now continuing this in the DIY section...