To FILM MODE or not to FILM MODE, that is the question...specifically LOEW ACONDA...

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Darren Gross, Aug 31, 2004.

1. Darren Gross

Darren Gross Supporting Actor

May 16, 2001
    I've got a Loewe Aconda 30" and never use it in FILM MODE...Since it already does a 3:2 pulldown on any interlace image it receives, what would FILM MODE give it?

I might be missing something here...And if FILM MODE is to be used, should it be NORMAL or SUPER?

Thanks all!
  2. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

Nov 1, 1998
    Film mode selection on a DVD player or a TV means different things to different manufacturers. For example film mode might mean use the 3-2 pulldown sensing all the time, which could cause degradation if the source was not 24 fps film.

You will just have to go by your judgment or what the instruction manual suggests, just compare how the picture looks.

Psst --- In my opinion, the need for a manual selection for film mode suggests a not so stellar quality de-interlacer; the best de-interlacers autoselect, can switch back and forth many times a minute, and actually very rarely keep the wrong choice for any prolonged length of time.

Video hints:
  3. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

Aug 19, 2002
    Are you sure "FILM MODE" is not a pre-set for contrast, brightness, sharpeness, color and/or SVM? This is what "FILM MODE" is on my Toshiba and it is helpfull as a starting point for calibration, especially since it disables SVM.