"To DVI" or "Not to DVI" - That is the question?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Russell Volz, Feb 20, 2004.

1. Russell Volz

Russell Volz Agent

I thought I was all ready to make my purchases after selecting the Panny 500 or Sanyo Z2 projectors (it seems that either would be fine) and the Denon DVD-910.

Then someone told me that I should pick something with a DVI interface. I see that the Panny 500 is DVI-D and the Sanyo Z2 is DVI-I. And as far as I can tell the Denon DVD-910 has no DVI outputs.

Do I really care? Is there a major difference between DVI-D and DVI-I? Is Component Video good enough or do I really want DVI? What DVD player is also DVI compatible? Do I have to worry about the projector be compatible with the DVD player?

Thanks.

Russell

2. Jay_A

Jay_A Extra

Hi Russel I bought a panasonic 500. I am thinking of buying a screen for it any recomendations? The sales person I talk too recommended a screen that has a gain of 1, what does that mean? Is it ok or is there something better?
    Also Iam shopping for a DVD player there are so many models too choose from. My old DVD player is a very simple one from pioneer,their cheapest. Would it do wonders if i bought a more expensive player? If so what are the things/features I have too look for?

thanks,
    Jay

3. Brian Schucher

Brian Schucher Supporting Actor

I would say you indeed want DVI on any of these digital PJs. I not sure what the diff is between the two DVI type you mention but both projectors are compatable with what you will require. As far as screens for the Panny 500 The DaLite HCCV material is highly suggested for this PJ.

4. Stephen Tu

Stephen Tu Screenwriter

DVI-D accepts digital signals only. DVI-I would accept both DVI-D & DVI-A, which is analog. For home theater, HDTV purposes, it would be more important to look for "HDCP" compatibility; don't worry about DVI-D vs. DVD-I. You want DVI w/ HDCP mainly just as insurance against possible future restrictions on some content, such as HD-DVD when it comes out.

5. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

I don't have a DVI set just yet but my understanding is that on the fixed panel televisions like these that DVI makes a huge difference.

I'm going to try it out on a Rear Projection set(CRT) but I've been told that on those its a crapshoot but its not a crapshoot on the LCD/DLP/DILA/LCOS type sets/projectors.