To dual SvS or not?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ZekAllen, Nov 19, 2001.

1. ZekAllen

ZekAllen Auditioning

I been thinking about getting the SVS Dual 20-39 Subwoofer with the Samson 700 amp, I can't seem to decide, I have my system in a 10x12 room right now and plan on moving it to a 12x15 room next year. I would really like some opinions on this.

2. Dalton

Dalton Screenwriter

Dalton
    Is your room closed off or does it open out into another room? My actual HT room is about 12X15 but it opens up into a dining room that i can't close off(there is a 6ft wide opening between the rooms). I opted for dual 25-31's with the samson. I wanted the max spl in the 25-40hz range for movies(these subs go plenty low also[​IMG] )

3. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

If that's a closed room a single sub would offer LOTS of performance. But generally speaking one can attain smoother bass response using multiple subs. Either way you can't miss.

4. MarkPayton

MarkPayton Stunt Coordinator

If your room is enclosed, at that size (assuming 8' ceiling height) you have less than 1000cf of space to fill. It seems to me that unless you are a total bass freak ("subhuman" as the SVS folks would say), one SVS should do VERY nicely in this amount of space.
    Just check the numbers in Tom Nousaine's subwoofer comparison on the SVS website. In a room of over twice the volume (2136cf), the single SVS 20-39CS produced output of 109db at only 25hz! Imagine what it will sound like in your room![​IMG] In fact, because you should get plenty of sound pressure even from a single SVS in your HT room, you might want to use the extra money to get a 16-46 for extra deep extension.
    Even if your room opens into another space, you may find a single SVS to be fine. My HT is in a room about the size of yours - 12x15x8, but it opens into the family room of 12x25x8 dimensions. I will be setting up the woof tonight (yippee!) and will let you know how it sounds (or you can just read the dozens of other ecstatic reviews on this site). I have no doubt it will more than adequately fill the space I have with bass...

5. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

Zek,

As mentioned...with a smaller room such as yours dual SVs might be a tad much. I'd consider one of our single CS/S700 packages to start. This would allow you an inexpensive/easy upgrade path if you decided the dual woofage was for you down the road.

TV

6. Ned

Ned Supporting Actor

Are you subhuman? (in the good, bassy way [​IMG] )
    I have a single 20-39CS with the samson and my room is about 10x12 also.
    To quote Tom, "a single SVS will make your jaw drop, a pair will keep it there". I can get pretty incredible bass in my small, sealed room but I like it *really* loud (reference level and even a few db above sometimes). For that you will still need a pair of SVS subs.
    So it all depends how loud you want it and how hard you wanna be shaken. Even 4 SVS subs wouldn't be "too much" in such a room. They would take up a fair amount of space but the result would still be more output and lower distortion, assuming proper setup.

7. ZekAllen

ZekAllen Auditioning

Well my room has two open doorways and is not sealed, one is arch about 5 feet wide, the other opening is a regular door way with no door I really like bass and I guess I just wonder how much better it could get even if it's great right now!

8. Tom Vodhanel

What subwoofer are you using now?

TV

9. ZekAllen

ZekAllen Auditioning

I have a Velodyne VA-1012-B which I really like until I started hearing about the SVS, I bought in in 1993 so thought it might be time to upgrade.

10. Tom Vodhanel

Hmmm,

going from a 10-12 vel that's 8 years old to a dual 20-39cs/S700 might be a bit of an improvement for you.

TV

11. ZekAllen

ZekAllen Auditioning

So what I am hearing is that a 20-39 cs 700amp for a 12x15 room with the open doorways I mentioned below is the way to to? I assuming that a 16-46 dual be to much for that room, is this the recommdation from the group?

Well my room has two open doorways and is not sealed, one is arch about 5 feet wide, the other opening is a regular door way with no door I really like bass and I guess I just wonder how much better it could get even if it's great right now!

12. Ned

Ned Supporting Actor

I assuming that a 16-46 dual be to much for that room, is this the recommdation from the group?

No! There's no such thing as "too much sub for a room". I hope Tom will back me up here so people give this stupid myth a rest. It belongs with nonsense like "a small room cant support the long bass waves at 20-40hz" and "deep bass should be fast".

The only way you can have "too much" bass is if the room is so full of subs you can't see the TV.

13. Tom Vodhanel

>>>No! There's no such thing as "too much sub for a room". I hope Tom will back me up here so people give this stupid myth a rest.

14. Howard_S

Howard_S Supporting Actor

A bit off topic. It is obviously better to have the exact same two subs right? But given a choice of getting a better sub and adding another sub (that is not as good) which one would be the best way to go.

I'm asking this question because I own a Paradigm PS1200 sub and I'm thinking of either adding another one of those, buying the Servo15 and adding that to my PS1200 or replace my PS1200 with just the Servo 15.

15. Tom Vodhanel

Howard,

I'd definitely go with the servo15 if budget allows. The ps1200s are decent woofin,but the servo15 is very good.

TV

16. Howard_S

Okay so I should add servo15 to my PS1200 or have the servo 15 replace my PS1200?

17. Howard_S

bump. [​IMG] Thanks This is what happens when you don't upgrade for years. You think of upgrading everything at once.

18. Tom Vodhanel

I'd get the servo15 and try using it with the ps1200. If you don't feel the ps1200 is adding anything to the performance of the HT...sell it.

TV

19. Howard_S

I've never sold anything and I really don't know where to go. Ebay isn't as good for Canadians is it?

Would adding the Servo 15 to my PS1200 be good? I mean they are different subs. So they are a good match?

20. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

Just to add my 2 cents... My HT room is quite small as well (11'6" x 11'2") and i run a single SVS 20-39PC. I could NOT imagine adding another sub to my setup. Lol, i can't even crank it really....plaster dust. You know what a mess that can be. [​IMG]
    - Chip