To Do I Get Screen Captures From DVD's?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Dick, Jun 22, 2004.

1. Dick

Dick Lead Actor
    Supporter

Rick
    I am using a Sony Vaio with Windows XP, and have Power DVD and Windows media Player for watching DVD's. But how can I capture still frames accurately? I have been able to get images transferred into my Jasc Paint Shop program by freezing a DVD frame in one of those two programs, hitting "print screen," then pasting to Jasc, but a chunk of the image is missing, and its area changes when I zoom in or out. When I try to crop, the resulting image is just one corner of the area I wanted. Anyway to stablize this? I suspect if I can, I will wind up with acceptable screen shots, albeit not as good as the ones posted in HTF movie reviews. Thanks in advance!

2. Dick

Dick Lead Actor
    Supporter

Rick
    I am using a Sony Vaio with Windows XP, and have Power DVD and Windows media Player for watching DVD's. But how can I capture still frames accurately? I have been able to get images transferred into my Jasc Paint Shop program by freezing a DVD frame in one of those two programs, hitting "print screen," then pasting to Jasc, but a chunk of the image is missing, and its area changes when I zoom in or out. When I try to crop, the resulting image is just one corner of the area I wanted. Anyway to stablize this? I suspect if I can, I will wind up with acceptable screen shots, albeit not as good as the ones posted in HTF movie reviews. Thanks in advance!

3. Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson Cinematographer

Click the "Capture Frame" button (or press the "C" key) while you are playing the movie in PowerDVD.

4. Jeff Jacobson

Click the "Capture Frame" button (or press the "C" key) while you are playing the movie in PowerDVD.

5. Dick

Dick Lead Actor
    Supporter

Rick

Jeff - what capture frame button? And the "c" key does nothing, either. Perhaps I have a dumbed-down version of Power DVD?

6. Dick

Dick Lead Actor
    Supporter

Rick

Jeff - what capture frame button? And the "c" key does nothing, either. Perhaps I have a dumbed-down version of Power DVD?

7. Jeff Jacobson

I have PowerDVD 3.0. It has a button that has a picture of a camera on it. If you put the mouse pointer over it, a tool tip comes that says "Capture Frame (C)".

8. Jeff Jacobson

I have PowerDVD 3.0. It has a button that has a picture of a camera on it. If you put the mouse pointer over it, a tool tip comes that says "Capture Frame (C)".

9. Nate Anderson

Nate Anderson Screenwriter

I should probably mention that Power DVD makes no indication that the capture was indeed made, however it was and has been saved in the PowerDVD folder on your computer.

10. Nate Anderson

Nate Anderson Screenwriter

I should probably mention that Power DVD makes no indication that the capture was indeed made, however it was and has been saved in the PowerDVD folder on your computer.

11. Dick

Dick Lead Actor
    Supporter

Rick
    Well, I just downloaded a 30-day free trial of Power DVD 5.0, and damn! What a program! Superb screen captures, and so easy! Thanks for everyone's help.

12. Dick

Dick Lead Actor
    Supporter

Rick
    Well, I just downloaded a 30-day free trial of Power DVD 5.0, and damn! What a program! Superb screen captures, and so easy! Thanks for everyone's help.

13. Scott L

Scott L Producer

mmmm Sonic Filter + Zoom Player Pro is better [​IMG]

14. Scott L

Scott L Producer

mmmm Sonic Filter + Zoom Player Pro is better [​IMG]

15. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Dick (and other Power DVD 5 users) does the new PowerDVD capture in formats other than bitmap? Like JPG? And how do those caps look?

If it can capture in other formats and they look good, I just might have to spend the cash for this...

16. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Dick (and other Power DVD 5 users) does the new PowerDVD capture in formats other than bitmap? Like JPG? And how do those caps look?

If it can capture in other formats and they look good, I just might have to spend the cash for this...

17. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Just out of personal experience capturing the same frames from PDVD 5 and the Sonic Filters I'd have to say the latter blows it out of the water.

There are two ways to use the Sonic filters. One is through the Theatertek player ($70) which has it all integrated and is a very popular player for HTPC guys. Other costs less but a tad more effort is needed to set it up. Sonic Filters | Zoom Player Pro | Guide

ZP Pro saves each capture to BMP.

18. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Just out of personal experience capturing the same frames from PDVD 5 and the Sonic Filters I'd have to say the latter blows it out of the water.

There are two ways to use the Sonic filters. One is through the Theatertek player ($70) which has it all integrated and is a very popular player for HTPC guys. Other costs less but a tad more effort is needed to set it up. Sonic Filters | Zoom Player Pro | Guide

ZP Pro saves each capture to BMP.