What's new

To dish or not to dish. That is the question. (1 Viewer)

Dave Miller

Supporting Actor
Eric,

I trust Antennaweb b/c it said all my channels were yellow and so I hooked up a five year old large directional antenna w/out an amp and my HDTivo locked on to everything just fine (signal strength in the 90's) The only thing I did different is I hung it inside my attic. Not sure if you'll be able to do that w/ blue and purple channels.

In terms of "OTA Only," Samsung's got the 351 & 451 that are supposed to be very reliable. From what I've read the LG LS-3200 (I think?) is very good also. I owned a Motorola HDT-100 and returned it b/c it died. The RCA ATSC21 has always looked interesting to me too.

In terms of D*, if I hadn't gotten the HDTivo, I would have gotten the Hughes HTL HD receiver. I would also recommend the Hughes SD-DVR40 DirectTivo receiver that I have now for an SD receiver. The HTL was my choice had I not gone the route I did. It seems hard to beat for the money. ($249)

Yes, D* will activate the SD box that you have.

In terms of the install, I decided to go w/ somebody local who had a great reputation and they gave me a great price as a new D* customer. I don't have the patience to fight w/ CC or BB if something goes wrong. I used Dish Depot and had a great experience. Made one phone call and they brought everything to the house. I kept cable b/c we have a cable modem and they ran all new wire for the satellite stuff.

Hope this helps.

Peace,

DM

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik
I'm also a member at AVS and I have a thread there also. I'll throw the same question about the "violet level" antenna.

Do you recommend going with a trusted local company vs. calling D* directly? What's the difference, really, in the end?

Dave Miller

Supporting Actor
The difference is ultimately you choose who your installer is if you go local. D*, BB, & CC are going to send a local installer out to do the work for them, but you just don't know what you are going to get. I had someone in my area that came highly reccomended, but I'm real particular. You may not be.

With the money that the HDTivo costs, my level of customer service is real high. I need to be able to talk to more than a 19 yr old in a blue shirt if something went wrong.

Peace,

DM

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik
Understood, Dave. Customer service is always critical in any venture like this. I WILL be particular about that. ;)

John Alvarez

Screenwriter
Well I finally got it....Dish is awesome compared to my cable...I called to cancel the cable and they ask "why are you cancelling"? I say "your product and customer service suck". " but we don't have many complaints on your file"....Yea..figures because you guys don't know how to keep records.

Jim@B

Auditioning
Mine is a little different story. I got Dish in 2002. When they came out with the recordable dvr I wanted to upgraded to that type where you could watch one program and record another. Well, the setup guy came out and only had the standard dvr. Only could watch or record, not two different channels. I told him I ordered the other one and he said that he did not have one on his truck. He called his office and they said that I could exchange in on Monday. (this was Friday pm) On Monday, I called to change and was told that offer was only good for new customers and not existing one's. I went up the bread chain after holding for 47 minutes and going through 3 different sarcastic tech support people and having to explain my complaint to everyone one of them, to Dish home office management I was told "Yes you are correct, we do discriminate against existing customers as we already have you signed up for a year and are looking for "New" ones. I was furious.

I wrote a letter to management and of course did not ever receive a response.

One month ago, my year contract was up and I called to cancel. When asked why, I really unloaded on the pour CSR. He offered me a "free HDDVR upgrade for 6 months and 6 months of free movie package plus, 3 other standard dvr's. He was a very pleasant representative and I told him that I wish he had talked to me earlier, I might have reconsidered but now, my mind was made up.

I went down the street to the Adelphia office, got a HDDVR for no up front cost, just the monthly charge of about $7.50 plus 3 free months of 2 movie packages.

My picture has never been better and the cable has not gone out once where as the dish would go out every time the wind blew and not near as good a picture.

The one thing that Adelphia has all over dish is CUSTOMER SERVICE. The ladies are very pleasant and knowledgeable and very willing to help and not PUSH THERE PRODUCT.

I AM VERY PLEASED WITH CABLE AND HAVE THE EVERYTHING PACKAGE AND IT IS CHEAPER THAT DISH WITH ALL OF THE THE BELLS AND WHISTLES that I am not interested in anyway.

DonnyD

Screenwriter
I was a Direct customer for several years and recently changed to Dish simply to get some HD programming a little cheaper. Direct did not offer me any incentives to stay with them whereas Dish was free for the HD receiver, DVR etc. I have been happy with the change.
Customer service with both were exceptional. Never a moments hesitation from either to replace equipment that had a problem or to patiently walk me through something. With Direct, I did have some dropouts due to bad weather but haven't had any with Dish, so far.
IMHO, the choice will boil down to costs. Pic quality simply hasn't been an issue with us.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member

Wow.

I have dish for many years (and yes - they do offer better promotions to new customers rather than existing ones).

But for the Olympics I managed to get the Adelphia HD-DVR for about $55/month. But after 90 days the 'rebait' stopped and they were going to jump the monthly fee to about $96.

While I loved the picture and locals in High Def, this was too much for basically 1 HBO show, CSI, ER and Desperate Housewives.

The other down-side is I still had Dish and all the non HD channels from Adelphia were washed-out with noise/snow compared to the Dish channels. While the HD networks were stunning - everything else seemed a step down.

I'm sorry you had such a crappy experience with Dish.

John Alvarez

Screenwriter

I had the same problem when the install guy came. Nothing that I ordered was right so I simply said come back when you have what I ordered. He contacted dish and came back the next day for the install.I even got free wirless phone jacks...;)

Jim@B

Auditioning
Went next door yesterday and my neighbor has Direct TV and he has a new HT setup. The picture was just OK. I brought him over to see my setup and he could not believe the picture. WE both have a straight unobstructed sight line to the sat. also. My HD-DVR cost me $7.50 a month plus the standard $4.50 box rate. I have 3 DVR's and the complete everything with Adelphia and my monthly cost for all is about $122.00. That is real close to what I was paying for Dish and I have never had such a clear picture and I think cable has more HD channels than the sat. guys. Today I read where com cast and Time Warner have agreed to buy Adelphia. No matter who buys it, I'll stick with it until the sat. guys get there act together and realize that the only reason they have jobs is because of the customers and if they keep going they will be in chapter 7 or 11 also.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks