To dipole or not to dipole?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Rob||Kur||, May 25, 2003.

1. Rob||Kur||

Rob||Kur|| Stunt Coordinator

I'm moving my stuff into a fairly big room. I would guess it's 12-15' wide? Anyways, looking into getting new surrounds. Might match my fronts with Mordaunt-Short. Or maybe some Axioms? Not really sure yet. And if anyone has a suggestion, I'd appreciate it.

Anyway, these will be 100% for movies (DD/DTS). What do you all think? Should I get direct radiating speakers or dipole?

I'm tempted to get some of the dipole Axioms. They're wall-mountable which is a plus.

The other speakers I'm tempted to get are the 902 MS's. Just a small bookshelf.

Should I really be concerned with matching my MS's in front?

2. Todd Alexander

Todd Alexander Stunt Coordinator

I just got a new Onkyo 7.1 surround system. I wasn't sure either, but I decided to go with Paradigm dipoles. I like the idea beind them and they sounded great at the place I went to, and that was witha 5.1 setup. I figuer the 7.1 can only make things better. My room is a 19x15, with the 19 being the width (left to right).

If you have a chance to go listen to the dipoles, I would at least test them out. They may not be as focused as a direct radiating, but they didn't seem as muffled as I was expecting, they were pretty clear.

Good luck!

3. David_Stein

David_Stein Second Unit

i kind of want to try dipoles out as well. its too bad there arent any jbl N-series dipoles.

4. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

If you're doing 5.1, then I'd say dipoles will work well. If you're ever thinking of doing 7.1, then direct radiators are worth a look.

And to confuse the situation even more, Def Tech does bipoles and Mirage has Omnipolars, which I believe, both offer a nice compromise between dipoles and monopoles. And, for some speakers, the mode is actually selectable! [​IMG]

5. Rob||Kur||

Hmmm, now you got me looking at the Mirage Omni FX's. [​IMG]

Anyone have any experience with those?

There's also the Mordaunt-Short 506 THX Surrounds, which are wall-mountable.

6. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

How about Infinity's Alpha 25es? They are switchable mono/bi/di-pole.

7. Shawn Solar

Shawn Solar Supporting Actor

I think it really depends on the room to whether people are pro dipole. I had dipoles in my HT for about 1.5yrs. They sonically disappear in a room(can't point to the source) but I find that is also there down fall some times. If both speakers are set up symetrically both infront and behind(same reflective surfaces) They sound great about 2ft above the listening position on most material. But if your room is not symetrical one speaker tends to sound "stronger" or more alive/ even calibrated.

I found the second situation true in my room. one speaker sounded full, the other thin. I figure it was due to the fact that your relying on the room reflections and since the one speaker did not have the same distance to the room boundaries as the other it did not sound the same. Again my room is so funny it is hard to explain. Direct radiating speakers would minimize this effect as most of the sound is point source and not reflected both speakers would sound more the same.

Its more or less picking the right speaker for the right room. Also another consideration is music/movies. Dipoles are also harder to setup and are less forgiving than direct radiating. direct radiating are better at directional cues but dipoles should have the advantage for creating a 'sound field' or ambience.

8. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I have a complete 7.1 Vandersteen setup now, monopoles all around. I had Def Tech bipolars before that. (Front and rear centers were monopoles though.) I personally have already decided my *next* setup will be the Mirage Omni's. But I'll probably keep the Vandersteen mains; better for 2 ch listening. [​IMG]

9. Rob||Kur||

These Omnipole FX Surrounds are very enticing, but I can't find them anywhere, nor can I find many opinions and reviews on them.

Has anyone here heard them? Would Tweeter have them yet? I really don't want to pay full price, but I can't find them anywhere else.

10. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

11. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

In a 7.,1 system, you might consider dipoles on the sides and monopoles at the rear. This configuration is being used by quite a few now.

I have dipoles in a 5.1 system and I am very pleased. But listen to some setups yourself, as a good many prefer being able to locate the rear sounds.

If you plan listen to 5-channel music on this system, you should get monopoles for your rear speakers—still consider dipoles on the sides, however.

12. Alex_C

Alex_C Stunt Coordinator

I compared DefTech Pro100 direct rears and Deftech Bp2x bi-poles in my house and the bi-poles are 10x better. JMHO.

13. Ben Jordan

Ben Jordan Stunt Coordinator

Ben
    Rob,

Keep in mind those Axiom's are quad-pole, and are known to sound killer in almost any configuration. I've moved mine around, and even propped one up on a box, against the wall, and it still sounded great.

I have 3 QS8's for 6.1 surround.