To crown mold or not?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by BrianKR, Oct 12, 2003.

1. BrianKR

BrianKR Second Unit

I went with dark non reflective colors for my room with a limited amount of lighting. I always thought crown molding would be a no brainer but that was before when I was going to use a dark color for the molding. I have since switched to a light color and I am thinking it might be distracting. The floor molding is not distracting but I feel that is because of the viewing angle when watching a movie.

My family and friends are split when I ask for their input. So I am looking for opinions here. I would also be adding rope lights inside of the molding.

I added a false wall which gives the screen a more isolated look than before. lil update
    Building a room for HT is no different than buying equipment for it. I see it as a never ending upgrade process for me [​IMG]

2. DavidVT

DavidVT Stunt Coordinator

Hard to say with your room Brian,

Mine was a no brainer, I definetly needed it. IMHO it adds a touch of class

3. EarlR

EarlR Stunt Coordinator

In your room I would go without the crown. I think the light color would be a distraction from what is currently a beautiful room.

Earl

4. Erik Farstad

Erik Farstad Supporting Actor

I'm a details guy myself, so I love using crown and other "finishing" techniques to make the room complete...but do what YOU WANT not what we or anyone else says....what is good to me might not be for someone else...plus you're paying for the time and materials and we are not! [​IMG]

So if you want to add crown, go for it buddy! I don't care what anyone says...details and custom crown work, to me, is what makes a room that much more fun and pleasing to look at! [​IMG]

E

5. BrianKR

BrianKR Second Unit

Thx for the replies.
    I love detail as well Eric!
    I tried to create a room that has just enough but not over done to the point it's distracting or takes away from the rooms overall appearance.

What I came up with, I don't know why I did not think of it sooner, is to paint a couple 2 x 3's the color of my molding and tack them up on the walls. This way I will know whether or not it will be distracting while watching movies.

6. Erik Farstad

Erik Farstad Supporting Actor

That's a great temporary idea...then if you don't like it...take them down and no harm, no foul! Good idea! [​IMG]

If you do decide to go that route...I'd love to see the finished results! [​IMG]

E