What's new

To Change or Not To Change? (1 Viewer)

Louisp

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Louis Patrick
First off, I've learned a great deal from this and other HT forums so thanks for the free education.

Now to anyone and everyone out there please look over my HT configuration provided below and give me your honest opinion. Does this setup seem great, good, OK or bad? Is there a weak spot in my HT? Are there any recommended upgrades, changes or deletions?

Please be brutally honest in your remarks.

..Sony KV-36HS510 HDTV
..Harmon Kardon AVR 525
..DirecTV HDTV Service
..LG LSS-3200A DTV HDTV Receiver
..Denon DVD 2200
..Sony SL-VN750 VCR
..DirecTV RCA DVR 40 TIVO
..Monster HTS 2600 Power Center
..Monster Reference & Z Class Cables and Wires
..Universal Remote Customizer 300 Remote Control
..Speakers - Infinity Entra (as follows)
..FRONT - ENTRA THREE'S
..CENTER - ENTRA CENTER TWO
..SURROUNDS - ENTRA THREE'S
..SURROUND BACK - ENTRA POINT FIVE
..SUBWOOFER - ENTRA SUB TWO

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
I didn't see a receiver on your list. What are you using to power the setup?

Honestly, if you are happy with your setup, then I'll be happy. With any list of gear, there are going to be critics. You could have $70,000 speakers and there would still be critics. If you love what you have, then enjoy.

Personally, I like Infinity speakers. I'm sure they provide some great sound in your setup. :)

Drew_W

Screenwriter
If you're happy with it, I don't see that at all as a weak setup. More power may be nice if you're driving 7 channels off the 525, and even adding a 2 channel amp for the fronts would take a large load off the receiver. (~$400 for Rotel/Parasound/older Bryston/etc). This depends on your room though and how loud you watch your movies.

And you could be extremely happy with those speakers too. There are things *I'D* change, but it's not my theatre, so what I visualize changing may not be what's best for you.

If you want to plunk more money into it, I'd add an outboard 2, 3 (harder to find, although if you got something like a Rotel RMB-1066 used, around $400 or so, its a 6 channel amp which you can bridge to do 3x150...that'd be my choice to keep L/C/R with the same amps) or 5 channel amp, and upgrade speakers, starting again with the L/C/R.

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
The equipment is just fine. Are you happy with the video display setup, speaker placement and calibration, etc? And is there enough money left to get some movies? :)

Joey_V

Second Unit
maybe a better sub? something that goes lower than the entra two (which i had too).... otherwise - i think that would be it... i mean, i dont know how much you like/love your speakers, and i am not you, so i am in no position to make judgement.

SethH

Senior HTF Member
I think those cables might be overkill for your system. Cables can certainly make a difference, but they definitely have diminishing returns. If you were spending $6000+ on speakers then the Top-of-the-line Monster's might be more reasonable. Not saying don't do it, but do a little research first and I think you'll save yourself some money with identical results.

But your system looks great on paper. Make sure you pick up a calibration disk and SPL meter to get the most out of your new system.

Drew_W

Screenwriter
Z isn't top of the line. I run Z1s for my L/C/R...well, ran, but anyways, they cost $75USD for the pair + $40 for the centre...I got the 60% off deal for my set, but still, they're far from the Sigma Retros...

SethH

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, that's not too bad. I do know about the Sigma Retros, but I don't count them because they are so ridiculous unless you have speakers that cost $40,000+

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
I could be content with that system. If you've got upgraditis (and the cash to afford it) though my recommendations for the first upgrades would be your display and your subwoofer. Those two items will make the biggest difference in your system for HT.

There are a number of very nice LCD projectors that have 720P resolution which are now under $2000. With a little bit of effort its not difficult to DIY a nice screen in the 90-110" range that will work great with one of these projectors (mount and screen can be build for ~$100 or bought for ~$700).

For subs my preference is DIY. Can build some spectacular subs in the $400-$800 range. SVS and Hsu also have some great subs in the under $1000 price range as well that will easily out perform the Entra2 sub.

Joey_V

Second Unit
i loved my entra two sub - plenty of oomph above 30hz.... it was just that when the tracks got below 30hz and approached 25hz or 20hz... the sub lacklustered. so in a way, upgrading your sub would give u the most bang for your buck at this point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks