What's new

To buy the extended waranty or not on a 36" Sony hs500 tube hdtv? (1 Viewer)

Todd smith

Supporting Actor
What are everyone thoughts on this. The extended waranty is 4 years for $220.00. Considering this is a tube tv do I need the extended waranty? This money could buy something else.

James R. Geib

Stunt Coordinator
It is probably always somewhat of a gamble not to buy an extended warranty. The level of risk varies with hundreds of variables. However, during my few years as a Circuit City sales 'counselor' I never really even sold my self on the value of extended warranties on some products. Computers, yes! Plasma, yes! LCD, yes! DLP, yes!

36" tube television, no!

I have owned two tube televisions thus far. One Sony 27" and one RCA 35". I've had the 35" for about 6 years and the Sony for about 4. No problems at all with either other than me having to replace a fuse on the 35". Other people's stories may differ.

Always unplug your set during electrical storms and a tube t.v. should always outlast a 4 year warranty!

Bring on the rebuttals!

BUY THE 4 YEAR SERVICE,200.00 IS CHEAP IF IT IS IN HOME
SERVICE.THE TV WAS AROUND 2000.00?IT IS a carry in sevice
from sony?have you heard of hot spots,have you looked at
repair cost of hd moniters.i have a 65h82 and paid 400.00
for a 4 year on site and i think it is worth every penny.
your tv weights over 200lbs do you really want to drag that to a repair center?i have worked in electronic retail
for over 10 years and every year service is more important.

Justin Hargis

Stunt Coordinator
If I were you I'd get the warranty. Sony only gives you 1 year parts and 90 days labor on the 32HS500. Something happens to that TV after 90 days you're screwed. You don't want to know how much labor costs can run. Considering you probably paid around $1500 (Just assuming) for the 32HS500, $220 for 4 years of peace of mind is a great deal, especially if it's in home service. Good luck and have fun with your new tv. :)

Dan Ponze

Stunt Coordinator
Why not step up to the XBR which carries the 2 year parts/labor warranty standard? I'd skip it myself. I've never had a tube TV break until at least the 10 year mark.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks