What's new

To buy or not to buy The Alien Legacy... (1 Viewer)

Matty P

Stunt Coordinator
Arrrrggggh, I was all set to grab this box set at Sam's for $50 until I heard the rumors of an Alien:5 star Edition supposedly set for release in 2002...how much more do you think could be crammed onto the Alien SE that is included in the box? (aside from DTS I suppose and maybe the 5th bonus doc.) $50 is a steal for the 4 films, even though I could give a crap about Resurrection...thoughts?

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I think you should grab it. The current box is very good. The amount of extras decreases witht he films, but since only the first 2 (perhaps three) matter anyway... :)
--
Holadem

Beast

Second Unit
Real Name
Michael Cameron
Go ahead and grab it now, the Five Star Collection of ALIEN isn't sceduled until 2003, so you have plenty of time to enjoy the current version. Just ebay the current version when the Five Star one is set to come out, after you are sure the supplements are the same. That way, you get the 3 sequels cheap, as well as having the definitive ALIEN. :D
Just for refrence, here is the current Five Star Collection Release scedule, according to FOX:
2002:
M*A*S*H
Speed
True Lies
2003: (These are in the preliminary stages, may change)
ALIEN
Planet of the Apes (original)
Strange Days
MTFBWY and HH!!
Mike

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Grab It
When this set hit the stands, it caused a nearly 30% jump in the sale of DVD players over the previous month. It's a testiment on how to take a 20 year old movie and make it look GREAT on DVD. Everthing on this set is top-notch and should be required viewing by any studio considering Special Editions.
It's one of my favorite sets (in case you had not guessed :)).

Scott W.

Second Unit
If you're any kind of self-respecting Alien fan, you must get this set. It is excellent. If there is a 'better' version coming out some time in the future (which I can't imagine), go to E-bay and sell. The set rules.
Scott

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
My guess is that the 5 star ALIEN will include the same contents as the current version, the MAKIN OF disc, and the video and audio will be "Newly remastered" probably a new transfer, DTS, and perhaps they will put some of the many deleted scens back into the film. Just a guess.

Scott W.

Second Unit
They really oughtta put the Dallas cocoon scene back into the film. Just like Cameron should put the Burke cocoon scene back into Aliens. They're both gross and I'd love it! :)
Scott

TheoGB

Screenwriter
Someone said to me that the Coccoon scene from Alien (in fact I think the DVD makes this point also) can't be put in without making the gestation detail in Aliens invalid. I guess you could claim multiple methods but that's what I've been told. Fantastic scene though and the plus side would be the way it forshadows riply in Aliens.
Has to be said that if they reintroduced those scenes they would need to find far better prints that those on the DVD.
Finally I'd have said that Scott is maybe not the man to go around sticking stuff back in his movies. I don't know for sure but I still regret that they didn't offer a seemless branching for Gladiator with those scenes on the second disc as I thought most of them could nicely have slotted back in.
Guess I'll be proved wrong by the Blade Runner disc, though!;)

Mike May

Auditioning
This box set is available at ThunderDVD.com for $41.99 and only $2.98 for shipping. Sounded like a deal to me.

Craig W

Second Unit
Grab it even the fourth film is pretty bad IMHO.

For being Fox's first anamorphic releases, they are much better looking than Star Wars: TPM due to the almost non existance of edge enhancement. It makes me regret buying TPM since I know it is not the best quality Fox is capable of doing.

Andy Brady

Auditioning
You should definetly buy this set. Alien's SE is reason alone to buy it. I never saw the LD version of this movie but it adds 17 minutes to it. Alien looks fantastic especially considering how old it is. The surround sound is really great. I know some people didn't like Alien 3 but I did. I thought it was a great ending to the trilogy. The picture is dark but sharp. The sound is great also. The fourth one pretty much sucks but it sounds and looks good.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
I'd buy it now. The current Alien DVD is great, and any bells or whistles that may be added to a future release can't make it any less so.

Mike May

Auditioning
Just thought I'd let everyone know that I went ahead and ordered the Alien Legacy set (although I was concerned that for that price there would be a catch). I ordered it on 12-12 and received it today 12-17... still only $41.99 plus $2.98 shipping. If there was a catch, I haven't found it yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks