What's new

To buy or build a sub? (1 Viewer)

Tim_Vin

Auditioning
Hey all!

I'm at a bit of a cross roads right now. I'm looking at getting a sub but stuck of if I should buy or build. I'm in Canada so we get stung on duties, shipping and taxes so if I build I save in that area some. For buying I'm looking at the SVS 25-31pci, Stryke Mini Thunder and on the outside HSU VTF-2. For building I was looking at using either the Adire Shiva or possibly Stryke AV12. I have the tools and ability if I go the building route, just time might be an issue the next little while. I'm just looking for others opinions on what they might do or some pros and cons? How would these diy drivers stack up against the manufactured subs?
Oh and the room it will be going in is 14'x21' and used with axiom speakers(m3ti's and vp150 powered with a h/k325 so far)

Thanks in Advance!

Lee Carbray

Second Unit
If you are looking to save money then building one is the way to go. You can build one for less with the same performance. The only thing that may make the cost in the DIY route go up is if you have to buy tools.

I built a Shiva in the EBS alignment earlier this year and I love it. My room is just a little bit bigger then yours. In total it cost me about $500 CAN.

Hope that helps.

GrahamT

Supporting Actor
I just built a Tempest sub for about $550 and I live in Toronto. I bought the sub and amp from Bob Reimer of Creativesound.ca . I suggest going with the Tempest over the SHiva as I beleive they are in short supply right now.

Edit: from what I have read the DIY Tempests are on par with the plus series from SVS but I could be wrong.

ArthurJ

Second Unit
Not worth it for canadians to DIY a shiva because here in canada you can get the Adire Rava for $597 Shipped through CS! That's a steal!

Lee Carbray

Second Unit
It is worth it if you don't want a sealed 60L cabinet.

The best part of DIY is what Andrew said you can customize it the way you want.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
There will be no duty on anything American made. I know SVS and Stryke subs will qualify, Hsu I'm not entirely sure on but I believe they are as well.

The one you have to be careful of is UPS groud service. They'll ding you with a stupid brokerage fee. Try and us USPS, second choice being FedEx, third being UPS.

http://www.ups.com/canada/using/soft...oms_rates.html

But as the others have said DIY will be the best value. Especially when you already have the requisit tools and skills. If you can live with the enclosure size a Tempest from CSS is definately your best value option.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks