What's new

To Box or not to Box SVS Question (1 Viewer)

RickRO

Stunt Coordinator
Need some input/clarification from you SVS owners.

What I have will be a dedicated 13.5 x 20 Basement HT with the SVS SBS-01 7.1 driven by a 2600 yammy. The approximate cubic feet of the HT room would be 2025 with a four foot opening into a smaller 8 x 20 foot space that I will not be able to close off.

I have decided to "upgrade" the SBS-01 out of the gate either to a PB12-ISD/V or a 16-46 PCi, but I'm looking for some input on which upgrade to make. If it makes a difference since it is a dedicated HT little if any music will be played. I have read in several reviews that if the SBS-01 system has a so called "weakness" that it would be music but for me that would be almost a non-issue.

Looking for input and some owner feed back on advantages of Box or Cylinder Subs.

Ron Temple

Stunt Coordinator
I assume you have a concrete floor...I do too. This limits floor activation and you may want to consider the medium 20-39 tube. You'll still get 16hz with authority, as well as, more punch above 25hz. I think the PCIs have a bit more output than the PBISDs too. I have the 20-39+ and prefer it in it's native 20hz rather than the 16hz tune. Sounds more dynamic to me. $.02

RickRO

Stunt Coordinator
Ron

You are correct about the concrete floor. I have planed on putting down a 3/8 MDF subfloor due to "personal tactile preferences ;)" and also I did hear that it does help with the bass response.

I am only going to have control over the family purse strings for this budget for a limited amount of time/money before there are other "improvements" to be done.

I'm trying to eliminate or should I say be "vaccinated" against "upgradeitis" right off the bat.

I love the LFE in movies as most people do that own upgraded subs like the SVS and HSU just trying to get the "biggest bang for the buck" first thing.

From what I've read around here and other forums the PB10-ISD would do the job nicely, but thought I I could spend a couple of hundred more and be that much better off why not do it?

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter
I own both PB12-ISD and 16-46 PCI subs and I prefer the 16-46 PCI it pressurizes the room somewhat like a earthquake. Whereas the PB12-ISD is similar but not as powerfully felt. BTW The PB10 can't hang with the 16-46PCI reproducing low LFE.

scott>c

Second Unit
I`ve owned the 20-39pci, pc+, and the pb-12isd and pb12+/2 and cant say enuff about them. Matter of fact I`m selling my cylinders cuz I got great deals on the box subs!!! The wife likes them much better also.

John_RO

Stunt Coordinator
Purely aesthetics. Get what looks best to you. You really can't go wrong with an SV. I have a cylinder and sometimes wish I had a box but the end result is great bass. Period. If you want a better opinion, e-mail Tom at SVS. He will get you on the right track for your needs.

Tom Donaghue

Stunt Coordinator
My 20-39 PCi does a very good job in a 25x14x8 dedicated HT room. I went with this as opposed to the 16-46 as it's sort of a 'middle of the road' solution that offers good extension down to ~18hz but still gives you some good SPL w/out ponying up for a PC Plus.

One option you may want to consider is picking up a 25-31PCi from SVS for ~$570.00 delivered and ask SVS to tune it down to 22Hz or even 20Hz, they should do it for no added cost. This would sacrifice a little bit of SPL, but the amount would be minimal.

If you did decide to have them do this, you'd essentially wind up with a 20-39 PCi for about $50.00 less and it would be a bit smaller than the 20-39. Same footprint, not drastically smaller, but 8in. shorter, which might help in location placement.

The cylinders generally run a little cheaper, but will perform about the same. I really don't think you can make a bad choice w/any of these... -TD

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I agree with Ron on this one, and somewhat disagree with Tom (not the SVS ones :D ) I'd just go with the 20-39PCi. If you want to step up from that and do something similar to what Tom said: go with the 25-31PC Plus. It can be user tuned for lower extension (at the expense of some output), and will give you more output than the 20-39PCi with the additional amp oomph and that Plus driver.

Tom Donaghue

Stunt Coordinator
Didn't I suggest the 20-39 PCi ? :confused:

J, am I wrong in my assumption that SVS can tune the 25-31 PCi lower than the 25hz default before shipping it out to you?

I know the Plus line can be easily tuned via port plugs, but I'm pretty sure I've seen this as an option on a few threads previously. Then again, this could be one of those cases where I'm spreading bogus information. Hate when I do that... :p) -TD

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
No, you aren't mistaken about them tuning a 22-31PCi (I don't think they recommend tuning the 25-31PCi to 20Hz), but IMO if one is going to do that, I'd say just bite the bullet and get the 20-39PCi.

Since the Plus can be tuned and give you even more output, if you can foot the extra cash, that would be an even better choice - you won't be looking to upgrade anytime soon :)

RickRO

Stunt Coordinator
I have done some more searching and surfing and I think that with my budget I could upgrade to either the PB12-ISD/2 or the 20-39 PC-Plus. I don't think that I could truly go "wrong" with either of the subs and since they would be going into a dedicated HT the WAF does not apply.

I just want to be happy, get the "most bang for my buck" and want the neighbors to know that there is an SVS in the house!

When I'm at that point I will definitely do that. Until then I can dream and drool!:D

Tom Donaghue

Stunt Coordinator
That's ideally what I would have gone with, but it was just a bit out my budget.

You'll definitely be happy w/a 20-39 PC Plus or PCi, you'll definitely get a great bang (or boom in this case) for your buck and if the neighbors are within a three mile radius, they will most definitely know that there is an SVS in the house! :eek: -TD

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Check with them to see if they have any B-stock on the Plus or Plus/2 Might save a few bucks :)

JohnEF

Stunt Coordinator
In one of the responses above there was referral to problems caused by a concrete florr. My home theater is in our family room (15 by 22 with an 8 foot ceiling) and it sits on a concrete floor covered by thick carpeting (with a pad underneath). The room is completely enclosed. Would a forward firing sub be better than a downfiring one for my situation?

I should mention that I have been wanting to upgrade my sub for some time now as my old one (a forward firing 250 watt Pinnacle) seems to be the weak link (the rest of my system is all gold reference Pinnacles powered by the Outlaw 950/770 combo). I had previously sent an e-mail to SVS and they responded with a recommendation of their 20-49 PC+ but I failed to mention the concrete floor.

John

Oren Paul

Stunt Coordinator
I have a 20-39PCi in a basement theater (12' x 37') on a concrete floor. I will never try but I am not 100% sure that I couldn't tear the house down with it.

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
Hey Oren, I'm in Gainesville too :) Another guy on here - Mylan - is right up the road from us. Nice to see some local SVS owners on here :) What else ya got for gear?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks