To Axiom or not ?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Tuan Vo, Jun 6, 2004.

1. Tuan Vo

Tuan Vo Stunt Coordinator

I was wondering if there is anyone that lives in Austin or Houston that would be able to show me how well these speakers perform. I want to start replacing my Bose Acoustimass set up and I want to explore my options. It was either the Axiom or Polk Audios. If anyone has any other suggestions please let me know?

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I on a budget of a college student.

2. Craig Chase

Craig Chase Gear Guru

Craig
    Axiom has an excellent forum on their website, and there are guys from Texas that post there, you might register there, and they will give you plenty of friendly help.

3. MikeLi

MikeLi Supporting Actor

Axioms are great speakers but also check out the Rockets and Refs at av123.com

Both have different sounds, some like one over the other and vice versa. They both have trial periods. If your going for an upper end system you will do yourself a favor by having them both in your home at the same time. Shipping costs back on the one you don't like will be steep but well worth if for something you plan to hang onto forever. If your really cash strapped you can also order just a center from each and do the same thing. You can get a good idea how they are voiced and again both are voiced differently. Looks depending on your room may make a difference as well. Real wood vs. plastic or vinyl veneer. So many things to check out and so many options.
    Good luck.

4. Ronneil Camara

Ronneil Camara Stunt Coordinator

But what about comparing Axiom with Paradigms, which is better? And how does Axiom perform on a Yamaha receiver? Is Axiom a bright or warm speaker?

Thanks for your future inputs. [​IMG]

5. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

Axiom is a brighter more forward speaker. You probably want a warm receiver with them....

6. JackRI

JackRI Stunt Coordinator

Jack Richard
    Tuan,

Over at the Axiom forum we have a number of guys in Texas, 2 in Austin, willing to demonstrate their speakers for you.

Just go to Axiomaudio.com, click on "Message Boards," click on "Questions and Comments," and the first thread is "Auditioning Axioms in Your Area." You'll find a list on the first page of the thread, but you might want to browse through the entire thread to see if anyone from your area has added their name. WhatFurrer is a regular at the forum, but I haven't seen HGP since I've been posting there (about 8 months)

Just register at the forum and you can send a personal message to WhatFurrer to see if he'd audition his speakers for you. You'll also find a lot of information about Axioms there.

7. Tuan Vo

Tuan Vo Stunt Coordinator

I thank you for the suggestions to alternatives to the Axioms but so far I'm still for the Axioms because of the cost. Like I said before, I wanted to replace part of my Bose system, which is just the front three speakers and I plan to move the 4 cubes to the rear for the 7.1 effect. I'm still on the fence between the M50ti and the M60ti. I've already decided on getting the VP100. I'm pretty sure those selections will blow away the current set up I have. I'm still open to suggestion if anyone would like to contribute. Thanks alot!

8. JackRI

JackRI Stunt Coordinator

Jack Richard
    Tuan,

I own the 60s and am very happy with them. Unfortunately, I've never heard the M50s, but there are several fellows, over at the forum, who own them and speak highly of them (KCarlile - he just got his, SutterCane. etc.).

It sticks in my mind that those who have heard both, speak of the 50s as being more laid back; not as "up front" as the 60s. Not an easy decision I know. Hang in there.

9. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Axiom compared to the Monitor line of Paradigm I would agree they are more forward, but they are also more detailed, and for the price, I'd go with the Axioms. Despite what some may say, the Axioms do not compare closely with the Studio line at nearly 2x the price of a comparable Axiom speaker. I'd put them about half way between the Studios and Monitors.

Go for it.