What's new

To ALL Studios: No OAR = No Sale. (1 Viewer)

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
The subject header says it all.
Don't continue this awful open-matte or pan/scan trend any longer! It's the new Millennium for godsake!
Educate, do not pander. PLEASE. It works. Just look at Fox's Die Hard Trilogy as a great example of showing one reason why OAR is needed. The Matrix and Gladiator did wonderfully and they were widescreen only.
What's next? Classic "I Love Lucy" TV episodes cropped to fit a 1.78:1 HDTV frame?
rolleyes.gif

Dan
------------------
Stop HDCP and 5C-- Your rights are at risk!
[Edited last by Dan Hitchman on September 09, 2001 at 01:07 AM]

Michael Sliger

Second Unit
Each pan-and-scan supporter I know that has gotten a little education about OAR has become converted quickly. Please give the general public OAR releases and show them why it is better in the promo materials. I think you might see overall sales improvements with this scheme.
The only exception to this rule is with recent TV productions. Even though the show was aired in 4:3, please give us 16:9 releases if the program was framed for that aspect ratio. I like to call this an Intended Aspect Ratio (IAR).

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Any more responses?? I do understand the slow down in the forum due to this week of tragedy.
Peace to all.
Dan
------------------
Stop HDCP and 5C-- Your rights are at risk!

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
Yes, I have educated many people on the benefits of widescreen, and almost ALL of them now support widescreen. All it takes is showing someone the diffrence. Please don't dumb down this format for the masses. The people who support widescreen buy many more titles than those who who don't know about it.

Sandra

Agent
I bought a 16:9 TV 6 months after my DVD player to better enjoy most OAR.
Before I only bought Pan & Scan VHS (watching on a 14" TV), but once I got it..never a P&S again.

Jeff_A

Screenwriter
This is so obvious. No sale? No question!
------------------
The Dark Tower
jamaris1.jpg

Fearless Vampire Killers (1967)?

MickB

Agent
I agree give me OAR, annamorphic and NO edge enchancement. America is in the process of changing over to HDTV 16X9 widescreen Tv's. It makes no sense to make DVD's in pan & scan. By putting out DVD's in OAR it just might help to get more people to change over to a 16X9 television sooner once they see how much more picture they get with OAR widescreen presentations.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks