1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

To all Studios: Movies need to be released in their OAR

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Eugene Esterly, Aug 27, 2002.

1. Eugene Esterly

Eugene Esterly Supporting Actor

To all Studios,

Movies need to be released in their OAR. If a movie is shot in Widescreen (aspects ratios of 2.35:1 or 1.85:1) then it should be released on DVD in Widescreen. If a movie is shot Fullscreen (aspect ration of 1.33:1) then it should be released in Fullscreen on DVD.

Widescreen movies need to be released on DVD in widescreen. Widescreen movies should not be released in fullscreen. Movies need to be released in the OAR that they were filmed in.

I am tired off seeing Widescreen movies released in fullscreen.

2. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

And they need to STOP using the term "Fullscreen"! Call it "Filled Screen" if you must, but "Fullscreen" is misleading and just makes the whole thing more confusing to people who don't understand.

3. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Fullscreen and widescreen are the most widely recognized terms for picture format. Let's leave it at that.

As for the scope issue...

I hate to bring the facts up, but nearly all P&S DVD's are unmatted versions. This excludes DVD's with dual releases or dual versions on one disc/package. The only few that come to mind are MGM's Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (70mm to boot), Disney's The Scarlet Letter and Natty Gann, Fox's To Walk With Lions (which I've never heard of), and perhaps a few more. There's some debate to whether or not The Witches from WB is 2.35:1. The credits don't list any mention of Panavision or any other scope process, so it's probably flat 1.85:1. It's not exactly better for a 1.85:1 movie to be unmatted, but it's not really the same pan & scan as a 2.35:1 film is done. It's not OAR, so it should be fixed.

Still...I think the best solution for all the P&S-only discs is to release widescreen versions with the same extras. Movies like Christmas Vacation and Vegas Vacation probably aren't SE material, so why not just a re-release with an anamorphic transfer?

This also goes for any other non-OAR DVD's.

4. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

"Fullscreen and widescreen are the most widely recognized terms for picture format. Let's leave it at that."

But that doesn't make it right.