What's new

To All Studios: A request for more 80's comedies and why.... (1 Viewer)

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I am asking that you start releasing more 80's comedies(ie-Better off Dead, Real Genius, etc.) The reason I think that these movies would sell well. Is that now that I am in my 30's I have been feeling very nostolgic for things from when I was in High School and College, which happened to be in the 80's. I have spoken to a lot of my friends who feel the same way. For example Major League was a favorite of my Fraternity brothers and I. We once charted a bus for a party and a few of us started quoting the movie over the bus's p.a. Now, every time I see the movie it reminds me of the goods time I had.
Another reason aimed more at the bottomline is getting new younger viewers. My nephew and his friend(both 15) came to stay with us. Of course he wanted to watch some of the newer comedies I had. But, I conviced them to watch Meatballs and Weird Science. Neither of them had even heard of these movies. But, after watching them my nephew is always asking me to bring one of them when I visit. By releasing more older movies. You gain the ability to pick up new buyers them. My nephew also is asking what other movies from the 80's he should get. I told him of a few. But, their are so many that are not out.
Please, consider my words when looking at some titles that may not be on the top of the list. But, will always be on the top of mine and many others.
Thanks!

Ricky f

Supporting Actor
Todd, You said it Buddy. I am desperate for more 80's comedy's to be released ( Better Off Dead the most )
Some great movies come out these days but I would choose classic 80's movies like Weird Science over any movie made today.
If any studio is reading this and you own some classic 80's movies I.E : Better Off Dead, Todd said it all, They need a DVD release.
Please make something happen in the future.
Regards,
Ricky
------------------
Please help convince Warner to release Stephen King's IT On DVD
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/...ML/003344.html
[Edited last by Ricky f on August 29, 2001 at 09:43 AM]

Tom Boucher

Second Unit
Real Name
Tom
Let's see...
Better Off Dead, Real Genius, Some Kind of Wonderful, Pretty in Pink, Say Anything, (really, can't go wrong with anything John Cusack was in), and others that I've forgotten because THEY'RE NOT ON DVD!
Tom Boucher
------------------
My DVD Collection

Nate Anderson

Screenwriter
Hey, you guys have forgotten The Sure Thing! Oh, wait, isn't that coming out?
And why exactly isn't the rest of the John Hughes movies out? Hello? Paramount, I'm talking to you...
------------------
"What if he honks in the car?"
"I'm giving you a no honk guaruntee."

John Stone

Supporting Actor
Todd, I'm 32 and I couldn't agree with you more. All the titles mentioned in this thread so far would be "must buy" titles for me (and many of my friends).
Most of my "30-something" friends own DVD players, and they frequently ask me if there has been any new information regarding the 80s "teen" movies we grew up with.
These 80s movies on DVD are an untapped gold mine, assuming they are done right (minimum of OAR and 16x9 enhanced). Extra features, like retrospective documentaries and commentary tracks, would really make them hot-sellers! "Better Off Dead" with a John Cusack commentary is my #1 DVD want.
Here are few of my most wanted DVDs from the 80s:
Better Off Dead
Weird Science
One Crazy Summer
Real Genius
Sixteen Candles
Say Anything
The Breakfast Club
License To Drive
European Vacation (and the rest of the Vacation series in OAR--PLEASE WARNER!)
------------------
John
http://www.twowiresthin.com

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
What's the deal with Weird Science being discontinued? Are they releasing a new version of this?

Matthew H

Second Unit
I totally agree. I grew up seeing cheesy 80s flicks at the movies. We need classics like:
UHF
The Vacations (In OAR)
Police Academy 2 - 7
Stoogemania
Daffy Duck's Quackbusters
Major League
Porky's Revenge
A new version of Weird Science is supposed to come out sometime next year, I believe.
------------------
Matt
Mobu? Sounds like some sort of damn car polish.
[Edited last by Matthew H on August 31, 2001 at 02:19 PM]

rhett

Supporting Actor
I'd buy every single title listed above in a second! 80's was the hayday of classic comedy, and the nostalgic factor alone should have the 18-30 age demographic snatching all these films off the shelves. Come on studios, there are more people interested than you might think!

ErikG

Senior HTF Member
My two most wanted unreleased dvds are Valley Girl and Last American Virgin. I would buy all the ones listed above in a heartbeat as well...I just love those early 80's teen comedies!! GREAT to hear Fraternity Vacation is going to be released by Anchor Bay!
[Edited last by ErikG on September 01, 2001 at 06:24 PM]

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
I want Breakfast club and 16 Candles Special Editions.
Real Genius would be cool as well as Cant Buy Me Love and Just One of the Guys.
Really cant wait for Say Anything as well.
Whats happend to that release??

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
You guys all forgot about Student Bodies!
laugh.gif

------------------
Scott
Check out my Movie Reviews at Epinions. Help support my debilitating DVD addiction!
AOL IM: TheAngryJew29

ShaneP

Stunt Coordinator
I miss the Eighties. Things seemed simpler then. Video games were more about skill that flashy graphics and movies were more about the plot than cool special effects - although there were some real dogs - does anyone remember Spacehunter: Adventures in the Forbidden Zone? Anyhow, I digress. Bring me Better Off Dead and I can die happy. =)
------------------
Go Beavs!
Let's get Better Off Dead on DVD!
[Edited last by ShaneP on September 07, 2001 at 11:38 PM]

Tom Boucher

Second Unit
Real Name
Tom
I just wanted to post a repl to this letting the studios that released/is releasing all the DVDs I listed that I've purchased everyone of them.

Thanks!

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
I'm 19 years old, and I'm screaming for mercy on this one:

Cut out the multiple editions of "American Pie" and give us the Universal John Hughes movies...the titles that laid down the framework for what's out there today. OAR, 16X9, extras please...John Hughes needs more of a presence on DVD. Columbia's "Not Another Teen Movie", despite being a guilty pleasure for me, just won't cut it. I want the originals in OAR and given good treatment. I want to see Molly Ringwald smoking a joint in a pink sweater in OAR...I want to see Anthony Michael Hall presenting Ringwald's panties to an audience of geeks in OAR...I want Hall and Ilan-Michael Smith (that's his name, right) creating a skimpy-dressed Kelly LeBrock on their computer in OAR...

While we're on the subject...Artisan, if you still have the rights, how about a 16X9 OAR presentation of "Pass The Ammo" on DVD?

20th Century Fox, how about "The Pick-Up Artist"?

Touchstone, if "Ruthless People" continues to sell well, can we look forward to an SE re-release?

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

I guess I'm a Molly Ringwald fan...

Frank Sadler

Agent
I would love to see Sixteen Candles, The Breakfast Club and weird Science SE's get released soon !

Please Universal.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks