What's new

TNG, Season 1, who bought it? (1 Viewer)

Andy_B

Stunt Coordinator
I don't know if I'm a big enough fan to order EVERY season. Any folks out there planning on skipping some seasons? If so, which ones?
This is an interesting question.

I and a great many other fans consider Season 1 to be among the weakest, if not the weakest of the seven seasons.

The writing was weak, the special affects were much weaker than the following seasons and the characters themselves are just not what you would expect if you became a fan from Season 3 on. Season 3 is the season when it all came together for TNG IMO.

Andy

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
Season 1 was probably the weakest of all the series, and yes, the effects were pretty corny. But dont forget, the second season also was short 4 episodes from the rest of the seasons and was also the season where Dr. Beverly Crusher wasnt on the show. That older lady with the short curly hair was the doctor.

I'll agree with whoever said the 3rd season was where it started to get good. But Im ordering all 7 seasons anyways.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Yohan,

I have confirmed and reconfirmed and reconfirmed. Their new policy is to ship when items are available. So when season 1 is released. It will ship.

Gerry A

Agent
I ordered it. And I'm also planning on ordering the other 6. I do agree that #1 wasn't as good as the rest of the series, so I'm buying this mostly for nostalgic reasons. Being a huge Trek TOS fan, I was deeply skeptical about TNG working when it first came out. But I found myself enjoying the episodes a bit.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I and a great many other fans consider Season 1 to be among the weakest, if not the weakest of the seven seasons...Season 3 is the season when it all came together for TNG IMO.
Agreed, and you won't find too many who disagree. I see that Season 1 and 2 will sell, simply because there are few fans who will pass on buying these until July! :)
I won't be surprised to see sales drop off after Seasons 4 and/or 5, though. I plan to get all 7, myself!

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
I'm planning on picking up the First Season simply due to the fact that it is the First Season!!

There are a few decent eps in there:

Encounter at Farpoint --- A MUST HAVE, or "All Good Things ..." won't mean as much later. Plus, it's "The Beginning".

Conspiracy --- Widely regarded as the first outstanding individual TNG episode. This was more like a (short) Summer Sci-Fi movie than a TV Episode. Granted, the SFX wasn't *quite* up to the task, but still pretty good for pre-CGI TV. Also, some of the principal characters of Conspiracy were introduced in a few earlier episodes.

Skin of Evil --- OK, this wasn't a great episode ... but as a precursor to "Yesterday's Enterprise" (One of the best TNG eps ever), it's a MUST HAVE. I always view these two together in one sitting ... kind of hard to do if you don't own the first one!

And of course there were a few eps in there that are needed just due to their historical significance, (The Big Goodbye","Datalore","The Last Outpost").

Granted, this was a very weak first season, and a poor introduction to what would become, in Seasons 3,4, and 5, perhaps the best and most consistently entertaining Sci-Fi series ever made for TV.

But it's still a MUST HAVE!!

Jimmy M

Second Unit
Dave,

Blockbuster has TNG listed in their computers at the stores for purchase at a price of $101.99. Both seasons.

Jimmy!

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I agree with Joseph about "Conspiracy Theory"--it was the first truly great TNG episode. Far too often the first season gets sold short. There were plenty of genuinely good episodes then.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I know it was from the 2nd season and was also widely panned. But, I enjoyed the episode the "The Royale". It was corny. But, the hell this astronaut had to live through is truly scary.

Mark Klaus

Stunt Coordinator
Stop it already. I WAS completely sure that I was not going to buy Seasons 1 & 2. Lord knows I can do without a rash of Wesley Crusher and Kate Pulasky episodes. I can live a full life without owning, or even thinking about, "Shades of Gray". But you guys are making it tough. You say, "c'mon Mark, you'll never again see Joe Piscopo as "the Comic" ". Exactly, I say. You say, "but you'll miss the first appearance of Lwaxana Troi in the wonderful "Haven" episode". "My thinking exactly", I say.

I know if I breakdown, these 2 seasons will just sit on the shelf unwatched, except for the Q episodes.

C'mon, help me be strong. I can live with the first number being "3", I know I can

Someone?

Anyone????? C'mon, admit these will do nothing but gather dust once all seasons are out. PLEASE.

Matt C

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matthew
Well, Mark, I wish I could say that seasons one and two will just sit gathering dust... I know they won't be watched as often, but every once in a while I just get into a huge TNG mood, and I watch everything I can find. Not to mention me and my friends like to go for multiple-day TNG marathons using episodes taped from broadcast, soooo... It looks like the first two seasons will still be watched plenty of times to warrant the cost for them... Whoops, that wasn't what you wanted to hear, was it? c'mon... BUUUYYYY THEEEEMMMMM!!! you know you want to, you cannot resist the POWER OF THE DARK SIDE!!! (whoops, wrong show! :) )
-Matt C

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Oh come on now, surley most of you have to admit that they both had their fare share of good eps. One of the reasons why I like the earlier seasons, is that Trekno babble is practically non existant. This came into play third season on, and usually obscured most of the real story because ship and crew where trying to solve some problem that involved technology...
Don't get me wrong, Most of my favorite eps are in Season 3 on, but I liked the first two for it's more character driven stories :).

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
Just FYI:

Suncoast is accepting pre-orders for the TNG First Season at $99. This is a genuinely good deal if you're a REPLAY card member.

Mark Klaus

Stunt Coordinator
That's pretty much the help I expected from this bunch. :)
Still, I'm going to hold off.
I remember when TNG came on the air. I was a big fan of TOS and was quite excited. Then TNG came on and after three episodes, I hated it. I didn't watch it at all for the next 4 or 5 years.
Then one old late night, I happened onto it in syndication. "Best of Both Worlds" happened to be the episode and I was hooked. Still, I just can't get into the first two seasons, and for me, they'd be a waste of space and money.
Onto July and Season 3.

Britton

Screenwriter
I will definitely pick up S1 since I missed the last couple of episodes. The extra features will on S1 should be very interesting since they'll deal with the developement of the series. I was a big fan and watched every week when it first came out, but then Skin of Evil came along, and when I saw what happened to Yar and Riker in that episode, it scared the hell out of me and I didn't start watching again until S2 premiered, and it took some convincing from my sister to get me in front of the tube. I suppose it's a good thing I missed Conspiracy because from what I've heard about that episode, I probably would've been too scared to watch until S5! I might skip S2 though, save for Seasons 3 and 4, and then put S2 on my Christmas list.

Jeremy Conrad

Supporting Actor
Paramount requests that all reviews be posted no earlier than 11 days before the street date. So in the case of TNG, Friday is when the first reviews will start to pop up.
I'm watching Encounter at Farpoint right now...:D

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
I will be visiting my local Costco on the Tuesday release dates for each season! That is, unless another B&M has them on sale for less.

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks