What's new

TNG, Season 1, who bought it? (1 Viewer)

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
I havn't seen any reviews yet, wich is rather surprising. Who hear actually saved up to buy a copy, and are the extras worth purchasing the first season?

Frank Anderson

Senior HTF Member
I already pre-ordered and wrote a check (which DVD Empire already cashed) for Season Two! Of course I will have to wait till May 7th for it. As for extra's... I hope they are there and I want them to be good but I really don't care if there is. I'm just happy to get TNG on DVD.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Reviews might start popping up soon. I don't think Paramount gives out as many review copies as other studios do (Martin Blythe can correct that perception if it's wrong). But regardless of quantity of review copies, you usually see the review copies arrive to reviewers about 2-3 weeks before the street date, so look for the reviews any day now.

I wouldn't be surprised if our very own "Captain" Ron wrote one himself...

Chad Gregory

Supporting Actor
Neil,
You do know that the street date is March 26th, right?
I'm not sure many members who, "actually saved up to buy a copy" have had the opportunity to pick one up.
-Chad

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Aww crap, that's right. For some reason, I seem to remember reading that it came out March 6th. That would explain why there where no reviews :).
My mistake!

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
It's going to be very interesting to see if they were able to make these look substantially better than the laserdiscs (I hope so). Unfortunately, completed TNG episodes only exist as video, not film, and the first few seasons were mastered to composite (not component) video.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I ordered 2 copies each(for me & a friend) of season 1 and 2 from Cdnow at $85(w/coupon) each delivered. I already sold my Columbia House tapes on ebay, which paid for about 4 of the dvd seasons. Now, we just need the other Trek shows and Babylon 5.

Yohan Pamudji

Supporting Actor
todd,
I hope you didn't put Season 1 and 2 on the same order. CDNow's official policy is to ship orders when all items in the order are available, which means you wouldn't get yours until May :eek: I seem to recall them sending me partial orders in the past though, so ignore the false alarm.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I'm gettin very excited about this release. I still haven't preorderred though. I honestly thought the MSRP/MAP/pricing thing would shake out by now.

I still wish we got the R2 packaging. Seems the pricing is in that neighborhood anyway.

CharlesD

Screenwriter
I amnot going ot buy the season sets. If individual DVDs with 2-4 episodes on each were also available I would certainly pick up certain episodes.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
That might not happen, though--given the backlash Paramount received from putting the TOS discs out separately and with only two episodes per platter.

But I'm razzed about the TNG sets, price notwithstanding. Mine are on preorder at DVD Empire.

Kai Zas

Second Unit
Torquil:

Does anyone know of any material R1 vs R2 differences?
As far as I know the only diff is the pall speedup on the R2's and the crappy (I know, this is personal) packaging on R1.

I'm still not sure which way I'm going with this. A friend of mine has ordered from Canada (I live smack in the middle of euroregion2). I'll see if I like it, then decide.

Does anyone know how far this choice will go? What if DS9 has the same look per region. One would strive for uniformity on the shelves, no?

Norm Lalonde

Stunt Coordinator
I'm getting pretty excited about these discs as well. I'm looking forward to hearing the 5.1 soundtrack. I'm assuming PQ will be better than the LD's since they've had to restore these substantially, from what I understand. And with the job they did on TOS, I think were in for a treat.

Norm

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I'm assuming PQ will be better than the LD's since they've had to restore these substantially, from what I understand. And with the job they did on TOS, I think were in for a treat.
TOS was finished on film, with optical special effects. TNG was finished on NTSC video (composite master for the first few seasons, then component).

There is not a lot you can do to 'restore' video.

Britton

Screenwriter
I haven't pre-ordered any of the sets yet since I'm waiting to see if Best Buy or Sam's Club has a better price.

Mijang

Agent
Since it was recorded on video, does this mean that the quality of the first few seasons will be that of a 10 year old VHS!? I hope not!!

I'm in a pretty good position. I ordered season 1 from Amazon with a $25.00 off coupon. Once it ships, I will compare B&M prices to online preorder prices and make a decision on subsequent seasons.

I don't know if I'm a big enough fan to order EVERY season. Any folks out there planning on skipping some seasons? If so, which ones?

Best,

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks