What's new

TMPGEnc question (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I fear my time is up with TMPGEnc.

I have version 2.50, 2.51, and 2.53.

If I try to encode some MPG file to a proper MPG for VCD, I get a "floating decimal point calculation" error message for versions 2.50 and 2.53.

If I try to launch version 2.53, I just get an error message saying the program generated errors and I have to click the "ok" button to clear the message.

Is this normal when the 30 day trial limit is up?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Well, if that's the case, then maybe I got problems with my W2K setup then. It's sort of maddening because I do need to get this software up and running to do some MPEG crunching for VCD creation.

Mike St.Louis

Supporting Actor
Pat,

The only setting I have ever done to get TMPGEnc to make the right MPEG file is load the following setting file:

VideoCD (NTSC).mcf

This shows up as "Video-CD NTSC (MPEG-1 352x240 29.97fps CBR 1150kbps, Layer-2 44100Hz 224kbps)" in the display at the bottom of the screen.

After that Nero for burning.

I have been using this program well after the first 30 days I downloaded it. It is version 2.00.29.113 however.

For my purposes it was fine.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Well, I guess I can try downloading the Version 2.0.x and seeing if I still get the errors. I was trying to encode a MPEG file over 170MB (maybe there's a size limit?) :frowning:

JasenP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jasen
Patrick, You may have problems because you have multiple versions on your system. Try deleting all the folders (I don't think their is an unistall for TMPGEnc) and re-download the newest version.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Jasen, I had thought that as well. I did poke around the Registry and changed the folder names where the VFP files were located. But I'll give your suggestion a shot when I get home. Version 2.50 has an install/uninstall program, so that may have been the culprit all along. *crosses fingers* I can't believe how much I rely on this little program!

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Here's the solution (a kind soul posted this for me on another forum):

-----------

I began having the same problem after using TMPGenc for a while, but it only happened after I got an automatic update from QuickTime. I didn't make the connection at first, but it turns out that every time TMPGenc is opened, it looks for or uses the Quicktime files (even for mpeg or DivX videos). So, the solution I found was to go to the folder C:WINNTSYSTEM32QuickTime (it won't let me type the slashes) and remove the file QuickTimeMPEG.QTX. You can't just rename it - I tried that but it doesn't work. I just leave the file on to my desktop until I want to use a .mov file, and TMPGenc is working better than ever.

-----------

I cut QuickTimeMPEG.QTX out of that directory and pasted to my desktop, and now TMPGEnc 2.53 works like a charm! I figure I got hit when I tried playing the Star Wars Episode II trailer from last Sunday night/Monday morning when it was available from Apple, but it requires QT Pro, which I never bought, and somehow the updates must have copied over that problematic file. Right now, I value TMPGEnc more than watching a *.mov file, so that *.QTX file is staying on my desktop for the time being.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Regarding your "floating decimal point calculation," those occur even when TMPEGEnc is working normally with some files. There is a certain audio compression for quicktime, I believe, that causes this error. I just uncompress the audio, save with Quicktime Pro, then convert with TMPGEnc. And there is no size limit. I can't go into what I was converting one time (against forum rules), but suffice to say it ended up being two discs packed with data.

Brad_V

Second Unit
Since this is already a TMPGenc thread, I may as well ask here... anyone know why the mpeg cutter will cut the audio exactly where I want it, but then it adds an extra 20 or 30 seconds of video after where I wanted it cut?

Say I have an hour movie and cut it at 30 minutes. It will work fine, no problem, the edit will run from 0 to 30 minutes, but then while the audio ends at the cut, the video keeps going for 20 or 30 seconds.

It's not the burning, and other cutting programs don't do it, so it's something with TMPGenc. Three different versions all do it. Very strange. I would just use a different cutting program all the time, but I like TMPGenc's cutter for quick stuff. But with it adding 30 seconds of silent video at the end, I can't.

Brad_V

Second Unit
I've never tried a .mov file with TMPGenc, but if it lets you, run it through the "mpeg tools" and simple-demux it. That should give you an .mp2 audio file. You can probably then run that through the main screen of TMPGenc and turn it into a .wav file. Might have to use the "unlock" settings template.

Otherwise, after demuxing to get the .mp2 audio, WinAmp can also change the formats. Very quickly, too. You'd have to search on how to do that if you go that route though, because I can't remember the specifics offhand.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Brad, whenever I use the MPEG Merge/Cut function mainl to cut), I only get about 3-5 frames of video from the endpoint that I "think " cut it. I've never had it toss in another 30 seconds of video.
Scooter, have you tried downloading the QTReader.vfp and installing it into the same directory as your TMPGEnc directory?

Scooter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scooter
Pat...yep I did..was given that suggestion by email this morning.

ARRRGGGHHH!!!! OK...did the convert using TMPGEnc...burned using Nero...and the audio is WAAAAAAAY off...and the image squished. What little hair I have is slow being pulled out!

I converted to SVCD..however since the ver. of Nero I am using is a demo..it won't accept the SVCD plugin and converts to VCD..ok..fair enough. Then burns..but MAN..what a mess.

I am about to give up!

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Scooter, well, at least some of it is working for you. I am not able to go from MOV => MPG, here's my current problem:

Okay, here's a MOV => AVI => MPG question.

So I have a music video in a QuickTime MOV format. I used RadTools Video to convert the MOV's video portion to Uncompressed AVI. My ATI All-in-Wonder player will play this large uncompressed AVI file. And VirtualDub will play it, and dub it. My problem is when I try converting it to MPEG-1 using TMPGEnc, I simply get a white screen for the video. I've tried using the VirtualDubbed AVI file, and that also didn't help. Does it matter if the FPS for the MOV file was around 15fps?

Can someone suggest something I've overlooked? I already had TMPGEnc's QTReader.vfp in the proper directory, and everytime I tried using TMPGEnc to go directly from MOV => MPG, the program would go into La-La-Land (the Program Not Responding mode in Task Manager).

Mike St.Louis

Supporting Actor
Not to change the subject too much, but does anyone know how to convert Real video to another format? Any insight would be much appreciated.

Brad_V

Second Unit
Scooter, the squish problem should just be from having the "source aspect" set wrong in the settings. Try 4:3 or 1:1 VGA.

The audio... maybe a certain setting is wrong. But, for a fix, you can try in the "settings" and then "source", double-click on source and at the bottom is the audio delay. play with that a bit and see if it helps.

Patrick, I think the 15fps is probably what's affecting it. I don't think TMPGenc can handle that. Hmmm, unless you unlock settings and can change the fps setting in there.

Scooter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scooter
Brad..can not access those in this version. Tried it tho!

Any other "whatever" to MPEG (1 and 2) freeware converters out there???

Brad_V

Second Unit
To be clear, I meant "source aspect ratio" in the "settings" "advanced" menu, not "aspect ratio" on the first "settings" menu. And if it's locked and you want to try it, use the Unlock template that unlocks everything, or just open up the template you want to use in notepad, and look for that line about the aspect ratio. Then change the "True" to "False" and re-save it. As long as you know what you changed, you can always put it back.

And for Patrick, same thing. I know you can change the fps setting in the options, but if it is locked, just do the above to unlock it.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Brad, I did unlock the template, and once I put the FPS to 14.985fps (internal 29.97) I was able to get TPMGEnc to do the conversion. Yay! Gracias!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks