1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

TMNT (2003) DVD's: Vol. 7 & 8 Problems

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Beast, Mar 16, 2004.

1. Beast

Beast Second Unit

Volume 7 and 8 of the new toon, was released today on DVD and VHS. And there is some missing sections of 3 of the episodes. Just want to get a small word of warning out to those of you that purchase the show on DVD. I don't know if the VHS releases have the same problem. But it's likely.

On TMNT: Volume 7, Return to New York pt. 2 and Return to New York 3 are missing the opening narration and recap of the previous episode before the opening credits. And on Volume 8, Search for Splinter pt. 2 is missing the opening narration and recap of the previous episode before the opening credits.

I suggest that everyone contact Funimation about this, and request that the DVD's be redone to include the openings. Remember to not be rude or insulting in your E-Mails, Calls, or Snail Mail. Just remember to tell them, that even if they are just recaps of the previous episode, they are important to the story.

2. Joshua Lane

Joshua Lane Second Unit

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that I'm not really concerned about this. Because they were multi-part story-lines, it certainly makes sense to have the recaps for those who may have missed (or don't remember) what happened in the previous week's episodes. However, since the DVD contains all the eps and they are likely being watched back-to-back, it's not really a necessary piece.

3. Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson Cinematographer

But they are part of the episode, so they shouldn't have been cut out. All they needed to do was put in chapter stops so people that didn't want to watch the recaps could press the skip button.

4. Beast

Beast Second Unit

Indeed. Not to mention, the recaps also typically feature some alternative animation. And the narration often is important to the storyline also. Since it gives an insight into the characters thoughts. It should not have been left off, even if it is just a recap of the previous episode. [​IMG]

5. Joshua Lane

Joshua Lane Second Unit

Oh, don't get me wrong, I agree that the recaps should be there, but it's just not enough of a "cut" to get me to contact Funimation & 4Kids and request they be fixed.

6. Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson Cinematographer

The one-part episodes also have recaps (or precaps, I guess). Have those been removed as well?

7. Beast

Beast Second Unit

Nope. Monster Hunter, Return to New York pt. 1, Lone Raph and Cub, and Search for Splinter pt. 1 all feature the opening narrations. [​IMG]

8. Beast

Beast Second Unit

Well, I'm even more annoyed by this. According to a post over on the TMNT forums 'The Technodrome' the VHS version of 'Return to New York' has the opening intros intact. He couldn't find 'Search for Splinter' yet, but it's likely the same. The DVD's definatly need to be corrected now, since there's more then enough evidence that they were not meant to be left off. [​IMG]

9. Beast

Beast Second Unit

Just got confirmation that the opening intro for 'Search for Splinter pt. 2' is intact on the VHS version also. That's just sloppy quality control, that they'd be left off of the DVD's. [​IMG]

10. Beast

Beast Second Unit

Some possible news. Maybe you folks with ties to the industry can confirm or deny the news. The following is a post from 'TheTechnodrome'. [​IMG]

11. Beast

Beast Second Unit

Update: Reposting from the Technodrome!

Update: Funimation Speaks on Missing Vol. 7 & 8 Intros!!

Well, it seems that Funimation has finally had the final say about the misssing intros on the Volume 7 & 8's DVD's. TVShowsOnDVD.Com, has spoken with the DVD production company, and we now have the answers. Follow the link at the end of this story, for the full information from the turtle's mouth, over at TSOD.Com.

According to them, the intros for RTNY 2 & 3, and Search for Splinter 2 were left off the DVD's by choice. As they were deemed unnecissary for the story. As they were just recaps of the episode that had come before. There will be no recall and no repressing of DVD's at this time to put the intros back on the DVD's. They also claim that the source material from 4Kids was lacking these intros in the first place.

So Funimation seems to be claiming that it was the choice of 4Kids, to not include the intros. Which doesn't make much sense, since the intros are intact on the VHS copies of these releases. One would think if they are going to create DVD and VHS releases, they would use the same source material for both. I passed this info back to TVShowsOnDVD, and hopefully they can do some more digging on this matter.

All I can recommend at this point, is that you continue to write Funimation and 4Kids that you want these DVD's to feature the episodes as they originally appeared on TV. But remember to be polite and not attack the company. An angry letting is typically never read. Show your passion for this matter to be corrected, but with respect and intelligence. And remember to snail mail them, electronic mail doesn't have nearly the impact that a personal letter does. Because it is physical, and proves you care enough to take the time to write them personally.

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=1375
    http://www.thetechnodrome.com/forums...pic.php?t=9549