What's new

Tme for Something new in DVD Authoring Software...Suggestions, Please! (1 Viewer)

Buzz Foster

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
My trusty Pinnacle DV500+, Adobe Premiere, and Impression Pro served me well, but the installation was a nightmare, and it took a while (and many software patches) to get everything running together when I fist set it all up.

Now, after a major system problem and setting it all up new again, I am having the same issues, but the products I own are now considered "legacy", with very little support, and almost no documentation on the Pinnacle website. I have decided that it is no longer worth the fight to get Impression Pro runing, or to figure out exactly what the issues are (and they may be in the DV500+ drivers...it is hard to remember).

The Pinnacle hardware/software from seven years ago, limping and bandaged as it was, despite eventually working pretty well, probably is no comparison to today's software for authoring and burning.

And before a word is spoken, I have been burning DVDs for seven years and never had an interest in violating copyrights...these are home movies and private content.

What is the reccommended software now? I've read really good things about Ulead DVD Workshop 2, but I'm not sure if it is worth the money for me. Roxio and Sony also make packages, and there is an Adobe one, too.

I do like Premiere, and would prefer to keep using it. I'd like something in authoring that plays nice with Premiere (insofar as accepting its MPEG-2 files...I don't have to have serious integration beyond that), but could be convinced to convert if there is an excellent editing/authoring combo out there. In the current project that I am trying to finish, I have made a lot of menu files in Photoshop, and I would like to be able to use them in my final project, if at all possible.

The Pinnacle DV500+ hardware encoder probably beats what my system would be able to do, so I am good with continuing to use it until I upgrade my entire system (currently an Athlon XP 2400+). I might have future analog capture needs, but I doubt it. (And my camcorder has analog inputs, so I can always go that route.) I think I got al the old tapes transferred, and now I am working int he DV realm, which requires only a firewire port, and no other special hardware. I plan to ditch the DV500+ after my next PC upgrade, so I don't necessarily have a need for Pinnacle compatibility, either.

So, what are the killer apps these days in authoring?

SethH

Senior HTF Member
I personally really like Adobe Premiere Elements 3.0 (The version I've used is actually 2.0). But it's more of a budget setup than the full version of Permiere that you've been using. It has all the features I've needed -- although I have used a different encoder from time to time.

You can buy it packaged with Photoshop Elements for just over $100.

Buzz Foster

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
Editing isn't the problem...it's authoring.

I went ahead and picked up Ulead DVD MovieFactory 5. It gets mostly favorable reviews. Seems to do the basic job.

I'm just hoping that there isn't an additional error in my MPEG-2 files that might be causing trouble.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks