What's new

TMAX Home Theater (1 Viewer)

Tucker

Auditioning
Thanks to all that have posted their ideas and recomendations at the Home Theater Forum. I have used them in almost every step of designing and constructing the TMAX Home Theater.
If you have any questions on how or why I built it the way I did, please let me know! I had limited space (14'x18')so I had to get creative to get all I wanted into that area.
My projector is an Infocus 4805...I love it, and bought it after reading posts at this site. For the money ...you can't beat it!
I don't have enough posts to post a link, but please go to the gallery section and check-out the TMAX.
Thanks again to all.
Tom

Gerald LaFrance

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerald LaFrance
Tucker VERY NICE setup I hope mine turns out as nice!! How long did it take to complete??

I was wondering what size screen you are using?? how far is the closest seat?? any SDE issues??

I also would like to know how you made the TMAX Home Theater molding lettering??

:emoji_thumbsup:

Don.l

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Don
Very nice Tucker. Obviously you have a Roman influence running in the HT and that is a nice touch. I like the different colored spotlights on the screen. Something I didn't think about. I am in the middle of building mine and will soon be doing the stage. How did you construct your stage? BTW I also have an Infocus 4805. Heard nothing but great reviews.

Thanks
Don

Tucker

Auditioning
Don and Gerald: My screen is 98" diag and my projector is at about 16' from the screen. My front row is at 11' and when the image on the screen is a bright color(white or sky blue, etc.) I do have SDE. Back row is always great.
The lettering I purchased at a local craft store and just used finish nails and caulking to apply them.
The TMAX took me about 3 months from start to finish.
Because it does have a Roman appearance (on purpose) I just about named it the Orion, but decided on TMAX.

Don the stage was tricky because the shape is not a half circle. The curve of the stage is loose in the middle then tightens towards the ends of the stage and dies into the back wall. I wanted the stage covered on the ceiling to conceal my stage lighting and give the Roman look, so I plum bobbed the stage layout to the ceiling (so I could mirror the shape). The stage itself I framed 2x12s to treated 2x4s that were glued and nailed to the concrete floor. I anchored each 2x12 to the back wall base as well. I glued every joint. I insulated with R-30 insulation. I used 2 layers of 3/4" partical board for the top of the stage and routed the corners rounded. Once carpet was glued on...it looked great. I built the stage top to overhang the stage 2" all the way around, that let me put a cove moulding all the way around the front of the stage to conceal my rope lights.
By the way, I went with x10 lighting conrols. All the lights in the TMAX can be turned on/off and dimmed from the remote control. It has worked flawlessly.
Tom

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Great looking theater. I liked your MC too. He must really get the show going when the gang is all over. I wouldn't dare give my daughter a microphone we would never be able to watch the show.

Do you have a reel to reel deck in the lower right hand corner of the stage?

The great thing about your set up is that as projector technology improves and prices continue to drop you will be able to replace the 4805 with a 1080p for about what you paid for the 4805 in the not too distant future.

Parker

Tucker

Auditioning
Parker...that is not a reel to reel it is our karaoke player. It's been a lot of fun.
Tom

David Noll

Stunt Coordinator
Very nice job, Tucker!

I also like the colored spots on the screen. I know what you went through to build the curved stage and "mirrored" curved top. I did pretty much the same thing (see my link below) with my stage although I didn't use the fancy trimwork around the top like you did.

Enjoy,

David

Tucker

Auditioning
David,
Thank you for the compliment! I wish I would have had more room size to work with, so I could have had a larger bar area...as you do. And by the way, your theater is AWESOME! In fact, yours was one of the theaters that fired me up to design and build my own.
Thanks,
Tom

JoshGivens

Stunt Coordinator
The room looks great. Gives me some ideas for the room I'm finally about to begin construction on.

One recommendation for you would be to get some wood putty and fill the gaps in your crown molding above the screen area. You could fill it, sand it down and paint it and really improve the looks of that already impressive room.

Good work!!!

David Noll

Stunt Coordinator
Tom,

Any idea what Josh is talking about? I looked at all your pictures and can't find anything wrong with your crown molding.

David

Tucker

Auditioning
Some of the pics were during construction, but the finished theater has no cracks or holes needing anything!
I guess I should have written a narrative for each pic.
I included some pics that showed some of the brackets and construction methods I used. In those pics there may have been some unfinished areas that showed up.
Oh well.
Tom

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks