TL coffin sub...

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Eric Eash, Mar 18, 2004.

1. Eric Eash

Eric Eash Second Unit

I'm sure many of you have either seen, heard, or read about the famous "Perfectionist Audio Subwoofer". Well, this TL design has caught my interest and i was wondering if anyone else has any info or comments on this. I could get the drivers for under $150 for both, a real nice 100Wx2 amp for next to nothing, and then it's just wood and glue (okay other stuff, but not really). plus, i really need a 24"H something for my new center channel when i get it. I was planning a flexy rack, but this would be way cooler. ever since i finished my sub about 2 months ago, i've been itching for more diy action. let me know what you guys think.

peace out,

eric

2. Tom Rosback

Tom Rosback Stunt Coordinator

Reminds me of my favorite Judge Reinhold line from "Fast Times at Ridgemont High"

"......and when you die, they can bury you in it!"

Sorry, but apart from backwave elimination, I'm ignorant regarding the relative merits of transmission lines vs. other sub types using very large enclosures.

3. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

Lets see 'famous subwoofer'.

I've been in audio for more than 40yrs and have never heard of this sub. I've of course heard the KEF oval woofers. They were pretty good technology 20 or 30 yrs ago. The KEF driver is really a modest excursion woofer not a subwoofer.

Regarding the sub itself

10-240Hz +/- .8db? Who are we kidding?

Max output 113db? That means it won't even reach THX ref levels.

So if you really can get the drivers, are willing to live with a huge heavy box, aren't going to play DVD soundtracks or anything else with high SPL LFE, then go for it.........

Having built dozen or so TLs I'll warn you, they are a royal pain to build.......

4. TimForman

TimForman Supporting Actor

Pass on the KEF drivers. You'll be better off with the drivers commonly seen mentioned on this forum. If you're interested in learning about TLs check out Martin King's website. TL subs can be quite large. There are variations that aren't too bad however. Examples can be found on the T-Line website.

5. Adam Demuth

Adam Demuth Agent

I'd have to agree with the others, stick with the drivers that are mentioned in this forum. TL's are cool though, and I think they are fun to play with (varying the amount of stuffing to tune it) I'd say go for it. The AQA box replica they have on www.t-linespeakers.org is a fairly straightforward TL. It's designed so that it only uses one sheet of MDF, and construction shouldn't be terrible. Tuning it is a different story...

6. Eric Eash

Eric Eash Second Unit

i guess it's not as famous as i thought. i did use that term kind of loosely, but i know i've seen this sub or references to it a lot. bottom line is i'm itching for more diy work. i want to build a flexy rack and a projector screen with adjustable masking, but both of those will not have the payoff a sub will. i really want to do an IB, but it's impossible in my current house. any more thoughts would be appreciated. i might just end up buying 2 more av15s and make two sealed subs, but make them exotic. we'll see.

eric

7. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

8. Rory Buszka

Rory Buszka Supporting Actor

How many watts do you put into each AV15? Mine smells like it's making lots of ozone with the 500 watts I'm feeding it.

9. Eric Eash

Eric Eash Second Unit

my current sub is running 450W to each driver, which would also be how much i'd send to a pair of sealed if i choose to go that route.

eric

10. James Buhler

James Buhler Stunt Coordinator

In response to Tom Rosback's post,although the quote is from Judge Reinhold, the movie was "Ruthless People" not "Fast times at Ridgemont High. [​IMG]

11. Tom Rosback

Tom Rosback Stunt Coordinator

James, I stand corrected! Thanks.

Eric,
    I have been running 12" sealed DIY stereo subs for music for about 5 years, using ACI AV-12 drivers in 2.5 cu ft enclosures. Room gain compensates for the system -3 dB point of 30 Hz, the Q is approx .7, and the speakers integrate well with my ProAc response 1sc monitors.

So I'd recommend a sealed, moderate Q design as a nice starting point.