What's new

TiVO (1 Viewer)

Michael_Victor

Stunt Coordinator
Help. Does anyone know if there are instructions on how use this service online because I just got in on Monday and still can't figure it out. The thing doesn't even have an on/off button on the remote. I am assuming that this is due to needing to be on for recording purposes when I am not home. Any help is great.

WadeB

Stunt Coordinator
First this should probably be in the DVR forum. Second, What kind of Tivo do you have? Did it not come with the manual? Directv's website has online manuals for most if not all of the Directivo units. If you don't have directv, the tivo sofware should be about the same, so it might be worth looking at. Third, Tivo is the most intuitive product I've used since a Mac. Play around with it and you should figure it out. Is there something specific you are having trouble with?

You are right, there is no power button and this does let it record all your requested shows, season passes, tivo's suggestions and also lets tivo update the guide and software on the fly.

Warning! This product will change your life!

Have fun!

Michael_Victor

Stunt Coordinator
Oops. I didn't realize there was this section. I have the Directv tivo and I guess to jump from channel to channel to watch tv would be better done on my other tv. It seems very slow but I understand why. Thanks for your help and can't wait for the NBA season.

EDIT, it did come with a manual but I left it at home and I figured I would learn while I am at work.

Michael_Victor

Stunt Coordinator
oh, it took me so long to reply because the whole day I was waiting for an e-mail response but didn't get one.

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/learn/Manuals.dsp
has the DirecTV-Tivo manuals.

DVR requires a change in viewing strategy to get maximum utility. Use the guide more rather than flipping through channels ("Tivo style guide" is faster than the grid guide), and start recording everything in sight that you think might be interesting. Set up a bunch of season passes & wishlists.

After your hard disk starts filling up the notion of jumping from channel to channel becomes obsolete, since it would make more sense to choose from the large list of shows you picked as worthwhile, than to search through a hundred channels to find one or two shows marginally worth viewing that happen to be airing at a particular moment.

Michael_Victor

Stunt Coordinator
I noticed that several movies were already on my list.

The question I had was is picture quality lost a bit if using tivo? I had the Burbs' and proceeded to watch it noticed it seemed a little old. I even changed it to 4x3 and it only helped a bit. It may be just me but I was just curious. Thanks for all of your help.

Mike

StephenL

Second Unit
The DirecTV receiver with TiVo records and plays back the bitstream as it was received from the satellite with no loss of quality. It's just as good (or bad) as the original signal.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks