What's new

Tivo (1 Viewer)

Rich Milak

Agent
I'm thinking of getting one one these does anybody have any recomendations The model I;m looking at is the Sony 3000 model any feedback would be useful.;)

LDfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeffrey
Rich, It'll be the best electronics purchase you've ever made. I have the previous Sony model, the 2000 model and it's worked flawlessly for just over 2 years. Make your decision soon because sometime in March Tivo is raising their lifetime subscription fee from $250 to $300.
Tivo will change the way you watch TV. My only problems now is fighting for hard drive space with my wife since I only have 30 hours of basic recording quality and my other big problem is that my wife is making me do more stuff around the house since I can just Tivo my shows for later viewing. Guess there has to be some downside to these things. :)

If you want more Tivo info or want to read up on all the features goto the Tivo forum:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/

Good Luck,
Jeff

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I recently went into the used market and picked up 2 Panasonic Showstoppers (Replay TV) and can't remember how I lived without these wonderful machines. Already upgraded one unit to 100GB, and will be upgrading another to 120GB soon.

I went with the Showstoppers because they have the lifetime subscription activation on them, so I don't have to worry about monthly fees or another lifetime subscription fee.

MikeSh

Stunt Coordinator
Friday 02/07/03 I got my first DirectTV/Tivo, a combo DTV sat receiver and Tivo unit hooked up and running. I loved it so much after a few days use that I ordered a 2nd unit to replace the sat recv in the bedroom. With the big snow storm we just went through here I didn't worry about taping all the shows I like and worry about not having enough tape. These machines come with a 40gig HD that will record about 30 hours worth of regular TV. I just went into the DTV guide and told it what shows to record for a 4 day period.

Tivo is great.

MikeS.

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard
I have owned a DirecTV/TiVo combo since October 2000 and a ReplayTV for local channels since November 2001. If you are cable subscriber, I think the SVR3000 is the best choice. You may want to check a comparison of TiVo and ReplayTV before making your decision as there are some feature differences. If you have DirecTV then you should look at the Hughes HDVR2 or Sony SAT-T60.

Here is a comparison that may be useful:

http://www.tivonews.com/features/comparison/

Chris

mike caronia

Second Unit
Hey all, I've been jonesing to buy a Tivo but I have a phone line issue. Don't have one. Call me crazy, but I ditched the landline over a year ago and I really don't miss it. My cell phone does me just fine and I got tired of paying for the home line when I never used it.
So is there an option for me or am I SOL? I have a broadband connection and router, I thought I saw somewhere that could work, but on the Tivo site I can't find any pertinent info.
Any info would be great.
thanks,
michael c.

Michael D. Bunting

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
TiVo does not (yet) support broadband...though it is possible (right now) to use your broadband connection, a router, and a USB ethernet adapter (~$30 or less) INSTEAD of using the phone-line.

I use a Linksys router - a Linksys cable Modem - and a Linksys USB ethernet adapter - to do the trick. No phone-line connection for me! :)

There is much more info on the "TiVo Underground" section on the www.tivocommunity.com website (also linked earlier above).

It's not hard at all.

And, TiVo may be supporting this (officially) soon with the Home Media Option ($99) it's hyping on it's website. I'm not 100% sure this "option" is intended to replace your phone-line, so you may want to do more research on this specific topic.

Also: It's worth noting that if you have HDTV programming - TiVo will introduce a HD capable TiVo, slated for late 2003 release. Just an FYI.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
ReplayTV (the 4xxx and 5xxx series) offers ethernet capabilities for the downloading of the program guide info.

Michael Mathius

Senior HTF Member
I've had Tivo for a couple of years and recently got a Tivo2 but I won't be getting another until the hd versions comes out. Hopefully it will be able to record hd from both ota and Directv. Then this will be the Ultimate machine:D

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I only have a ReplayTV, but I've heard that the Tivo's are slightly more user friendly...I should say, less confusing to your average consumer.

Leo

Second Unit
Well I joined the PVR world (brought my wife in kicking and screaming) yesterday. Set things up and have my Replay 5040 connected via a Linksys WAP11 (in Client mode). Works just fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation966
Recent bookmarks