Tivo w/ DirecTV w/o a phone line?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Tony.R, Dec 29, 2003.

1. Tony.R

Tony.R Auditioning

Anybody use Tivo through DirecTV (i.e. you pay for Tivo through DirecTV for $5 a month and have the combined DirecTV reciever and DVR)? I would like to do this, but do not have a land line, I use cellular only. Do you know what functions are inoperable when you don't have a phone line connected? If it is like my DirecTV reciever, it is only the ability to order PPV, which I do not care about. I have called DirecTV and nobody accessable to me can answer the question. Do you know if any of the "DirecTV DVRs" will utilize a broadband connection in place of the phone line, like replaytv? I have a LAN in my house, but no phone. Thanks.

2. Kevin Stewart

Kevin Stewart Second Unit

Kevin Stewart
    IIRC, you don't need a phone line to operate the unit (except for PPV as you mention), but you will get a message occasionally telling you to dial out. You do, however, need the phone line to do the initial set-up and to receive some upgrades. Does your neighbor have a phone line you can run to your house for the initial set-up?

Stew

3. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    Actually, you don't need the satellite connection for the initial setup. So take the Tivo to a friend's house and plug it in to the phone jack and the TV. It will try to find a sat signal but you can force it to the setup menu. It may take up to an hour or so to download the first software update and after that it doesn't need to call in again until the next update. Mine hasn't called in over 270 days and it still works fine. I get a daily screen asking me to make a call.

-Robert

4. Tony.R

Tony.R Auditioning

So, aside from the initial setup, which I can do at the neighbor's house. The receiver gets all it needs from the satellite and only requires the phone line for updates and PPV. Sounds good, I'll give it a try. I wish it wouldn't give me a daily message, but I guess I can live with that.

Do any of the receivers record from multiple inputs? DirecTV does not offer local channels in my area yet. They have been promising them for 18 months, but have not come through. I get my locals from an antenna. Is there any way to record off of the locals, either through the guide or manually without a lot of trouble? I know the replaytv units can do this seamlessly, even including them in the same guide as the DirecTV channels. You wouldn't know DirecTV isn't providing them. Does the DirecTV/Tivo units offer the same functionality?

5. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    So do the stand alone Tivos but then you have all of their disadvantages: More expensive equipment ($199), more expensive subscription ($12.99/month or $299 lifetime), single tuner and even at "best" recording quality it does not have the quality of the DirecTivo.

Is there a city near you that DirecTV has their locals? You could "move" there until DirecTV 7S is launched in Feb.

-Robert

6. BenS

BenS Stunt Coordinator

The only thing you will lack is downloads of software upgrades through the phone line.