TiVo/UltimateTV users : question about sports

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Pete M, Oct 12, 2002.

1. Pete M

Pete M Stunt Coordinator

I am a big sports watcher, and am interested in getting a TiVo. My question is this: Say I were to record a baseball game that was scheduled to go from 7:00-10:00. If the game were to go long, or extra innings, is TiVo smart enough to keep recording until the end of the game? Or will it turn off at 10:00? I realize I could just tell it to record from 7:00- 11 or 12:00, but am wondering if I would have to do that?

2. DwightK

DwightK Second Unit

It will record to whatever the show length is in the guide. 7-10 will be 7-10 not 7-1045 or whatever. This pissed me off during the Tour de France when the live stages lasted longer then the scheduled time. I just recorded the show following as well just to be sure.

There is always manual record I guess although I have never used that yet.

What bugs me is when the show is called "Bicycle Racing" instead of "Tour de France". I dont want to record all bike racing, ONLY the Tour. Bah...the inconveniences of convenience.

3. Peter D

Peter D Stunt Coordinator

Tivo has an option called padding that you can add before or after a scheduled recording to make sure you get it all. So for sports, you'd generally be best off adding at least an hour of padding to the end to be safe (the networks usually underestimate sports times bigtime).

4. PaulHeroy

PaulHeroy Stunt Coordinator

UTV also has an option to pad the record time of a show by 15, 30, 60 etc. minutes, up to 3 hours. If I have a college football game that I want to be sure to see, I set it for at least 4 hours, 4.5 for bowl games. It'd be nice if some kind of program ID could be embedded in the signal so that a recorder would actually know what show is being broadcast on a channel and extend the recording time intelligently.

5. Pete M

Pete M Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the info guys.
    Dwight... I could see how that would be an issue with "Bicycle Racing" as the title. I would like to tape the PGA golf tourney's on Thursday and Friday, but it says "Golf" in the title. I would imagine it would end up recording essentially the entire day of the Golf Channel. [​IMG] Let alone the LPGA, Senior tour, and the Nike tour (or whatever it's called now)
    Paul... that's what I was thinking/hoping for - something that would alert the TiVo that the show is over.

6. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

If know the channel and time that your particular "golf" program will be on, and you find that program in the guide and tell TiVo to record that program, then it will record that program and only that program. It won't record other programs called "golf" on other channels. You would only run into the problem of getting more golf than you asked for if you were to set up a wish list for "golf" and configured it to auto-record.

A flag in the signal would be nice. TiVo already has a flag that is included in commercials promoting upcoming programs, when you see the icon you can press Thumbs Up to quickly program TiVo to record the program being promoted. Similarly, TiVo has been thinking about the ability to put flags in any commercial to provide "one click shopping" for any advertised product. But be careful what you wish for. Putting a flag in the video to extend the duration of sporting events would require cooperation by the TV network. If I suddenly lost 90% of my brain cells and became qualified to be a TV network executive, I would cooperate, but only in return for the creation of another flag: the "you can't skip this commercial" flag. How buddy-buddy do you really want TiVo to be with the networks?