What's new

Tivo/Tivo type capability.. What is best.. (1 Viewer)

John Welch

Stunt Coordinator
Since you have an IR port on the back of the box, chances are very good that you can establish a direct connection to the TiVo unit, which is preferable.
The only direct type of control that the TIVO allows is a serial connection and according to TIVO this will NOT work with any cable box that is currently on the market. You will have to use either the IR blaster in the TIVO or hook up the IR extender to the TIVO if the cable box and the TIVO are physically seperate from each other. The results may be acceptable and may not. It depends on the speed at which the cable box responds. One of mine works 100% of the time, the other refuses to change to a 3 digit channel at all.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
The only direct type of control that the TIVO allows is a serial connection
I believe there are a few cable boxes out there that will accept the IR signal via rear panel connection (a capability commonly included in Pioneer components). One of the cables supplied with my Sony SVR-2000 appears to be designed for such a connection. But I agree that the IR blaster is by far the most common connection.

M.

Richard_s

Second Unit
I really appreciate all the information. It obvious I have alot to learn on this TIVO device. I have the Motorola DCT2000 cable box and yes it does work with an IR remote. I did not realize the TIVO uses this remote capability directly :b
It does have the IR connector on the back but it looks like this is not needed with the IR Blaster that you all talk about. Looks like I need to get to the stores and find a sales person that knows their stuff.
I really appreciate the help and now at least know what to look for and ask.
:)

Mark_E_Smith

Second Unit
You may have trouble finding a TiVo in the stores, and even more trouble finding someone in the stores that knows anything about a TiVo. That said, TiVo will work with most converter boxs throught the ir blaster that plugs in on the back of the TiVo (included with the TiVo). Some problems with this setup are, the ir blaster is not 100% on channel changes some cable boxs are better some are worse. PQ through a cable box can get poor at times, most noticeable are analog channels through a digital cable box, though digital channels seem good. Really kind of depends on the signal quality you get from the cable company. If you dont have Digital cable the TiVo has a built in cable ready tuner so you might not need the cable box unless it is for descrambling. You can go to TiVO.com and order a generation 2 box or look on ebay for a used generation 1. Hope this helps. I couldnt stand to watch tv without my TiVos :D

Luke_Y

Second Unit
On the subject of the IR blasters, my Philips DSR6000 DirecTivo unit came with 2 of these. No where are they mentioned in the user guide, or any of the documentation. As this is not a standalone unit what are these for? VCR control? How are they set up?

Thanks.

Darren Lewis

Supporting Actor
Richard, The TIVO is an amazing piece of kit. It learns your favourite prog types and then records them for you automatically (if you want it to, of course).

I have mine with my Digital Cable box and it works perfectly. I subscribe to FilmFour (a premium film channel in the UK), and it records the stuff of that OK.

You plug the emitter into the back of the TIVO and then position the emitter infront of the cable box on a little plastic arm (about 1" infront). The TIVO changes the channel numbers on the cable box.

I think the hardware (and ? software) is slightly different in the UK, but the basics must be the same.

Richard_s

Second Unit
Darren:
Thanks. I finally understand how this all works.
Real nice product.
A little expensive for me right now but I will see in the near future.
Appreciate everyones help I am learning alot :)

Brian Schucher

Supporting Actor
Keep an eye open..I got mine for nothing after rebates a while back.. Others were able to get the DTIVO for 99 bucks as well.. Good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks