1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

TiVo Serial Question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff Croft, Feb 15, 2001.

1. Jeff Croft

Jeff Croft Auditioning

I got it! I went today and bought the Sony standalone TiVo unit thanks to all your guys answering my questions. The thing is currently making the call to get the programming data and says it will take 2-3 hours after that to process.
    Now, here's my question...
    My cable box has a serial connection. I connected it to the serial in of the TiVo. My understanding, from the directions, was that I could use EITHER serial or IR, and that serial is perfered. Well, I went with that, but couldn't get the the thing to change my cable box's channels in the setup. So, i gave in and hooked up the IR, which seems a little ghetto. It'll work for now, but I'd sure like to get that serial connection working. Any clues?
    The setup process didn't even ask me about serial...it jsut went straight into setting up IR, which i didn't even expect to be using.
    Thanks in advance!

2. Jeff Croft

Jeff Croft Auditioning

Found the answer to this one myself on TiVo's site.
    Apparently you can't use the serial connection on cable boxes...only on satelittes. Sooo....I've got to use the ghetto IR Blaster. Ah well. I'm sure it'll still work fine.
    Thanks!

3. Mike Lang

Mike Lang Stunt Coordinator

Correct. Currently there are no cable boxes that can be used via serial by any PVR.
    ------------------