What's new

TIVO SA series 1 vs series 2 (1 Viewer)

Steve Owen

Second Unit
I assume you're talking about the "standalone" not the TiVO that's combined with a DirecTV receiver, correct?
Apparently TiVo is using a cheaper mpeg encoder chip (Broadcom BCM7040) in the Series 2 and word is that the quality is lesser because of it. Let your eyes decide because there seem to be a lot of people that are fine with it. Others however seem less than enthused. The Series 1 uses an IBM CS22 mpeg encoder chip which is said to do a better job.
If you're talking about the combo (DirecTV + TiVo, often called DirecTiVo) boxes, the series 2 isn't out yet. When it does come out, it shouldn't have this problem as the mpeg encoding is done by DirecTV and not in the TiVo box.
-Steve
(edit: Oops... you see you put SA in subject, so you are talking about the standalone. I'll leave the other comments about the DirecTiVo as they may be of interest to someone)

DeborahK

Supporting Actor
Steve,
As a DirecTiVo user, your comments were interesting to me so rest assured that indeed they were not in vain. ;)
Deborah

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks