Tivo reports viewing habits.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jon Halvorson, Mar 26, 2001.

1. Jon Halvorson

Jon Halvorson Auditioning

2. Mike Lang

Mike Lang Stunt Coordinator

Of course they do...just like their privacy policy said they do. I hope they report every show I watch so we can get the networks to create programs more to my liking. Forget Nielson...let me decide what the networks air. Let them know which commercials I go back and watch and the one's I fly by.
    ------------------

3. Jon Halvorson

Jon Halvorson Auditioning

I don't have TIVO, and if I did I this would not bother me either. According the article older user guides did not mention this. Perhaps this is already well known, but if not then after someone finds out about this they might change their viewing habits a little. Like making sure they didn't miss their favorite show to ensure that it gets credit.

4. Stephen Tu

Stephen Tu Screenwriter

I don't think they've ever been misleading as the article contends. That privacy policy has been posted on their site since they first started selling the things in early '99, and it's also in the user guide. It's been clear to me at least that they are collecting usage data, stripped of personal identifiers, and that I have the option to opt out of even that if I choose.

5. Bob Jackson

Bob Jackson Stunt Coordinator

You can also opt out and they will not collect this data.

6. Michael St. Clair

What the hell do you people watch that you would care who knows it?
    [​IMG]

7. Michael K

Michael K Auditioning

Argh.
    I've been following this on Slashdot, Plastic, and Kuro5hin... I've never been so annoyed in my life.
    The damn policy is not a secret, has never been a secret, and is not invasive.
    Frankly, whenever the geek/techie/privacy communities get bent of shape about minor stuff like this, it just ruins our image and our cause when important things are afoot. Carnivore, the DCMA, stuff like that is important. This is a non-issue.
    TiVo gathers anonymized, aggregate data. I don't care if TiVo knows I'm the only person in my zip code that doesn't watch Sabado Gigante. On the other hand, the fact that TiVo knows that x amount of people watches [cult show] rather than approximately x (plus or minus y) makes me very happy. Maybe my favorite shows will last longer.
    ------------------
    [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG]
    "There's nothing more exhilarating than pointing out the shortcomings of others, is there?" --Randal Graves, Clerks
    We're getting a Office Space:SE, now let's get these on DVD:
    Ren & Stimpy | Nirvana | Strange Brew

8. MikeM

MikeM Screenwriter

9. PaulG

PaulG Stunt Coordinator

TiVo is not saying PaulG watched show X, they are saying someone watched show X. Whats the big deal? I don't know.