TiVo Repair - A Good Experience

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott Dautel, Nov 21, 2002.

1. Scott Dautel

Scott Dautel Second Unit

Thought I'd share a good experience ... maybe someone out there is as frustrated as I was 2 weeks ago.
    Back in Sept, my Sony TiVo went on the fritz. It failed to download program data for 5+ days in a row ... seemed like a modem problem.
    I tried everything, different phone connection, different numbers, test dialing ... everything ... no solution. One time I did successfully force a manual download. This confused me more ... if it was a modem gone bad, why did it work sometimes?
    Calling tech service hotlines is misery for me. Long hold times and they usually make you repeat all basic tests I'd already done. Anyway ... called TiVo... they said all was OK on their end & I should call Sony. All in all I think I called Sony about 4 times ... ran live dialing tests, the works. It was looking like TiVo was dialing fine, but could not complete the modem-handshake.
    Frustration growing ... and I've been out of program data for over a week now. My beloved TiVo was reduced to nothing but a VCR-timer. My family is beginning to exhibit withdrawl symptoms. Sony concludes I should just ship them the whole thing and they'll fix (more likely replace) it for $150 + RT shipping + insurance. Damn! this is gonna be $200, several weeks and I lose all my saved programming.
    Must be a better answer ... search the web ... TiVo Forum speaks of this website. I emailed Tim ... asking for info. he says most likely a quick modem transistor/chip repair ($25 for the repair kit) I'm not willing to solder those tiny surface-mount chips, so Tim suggests I take the cover off, remove the main board and send it to him.
    I can do that ... off it goes. 5 days later he says all is well ... $60 + $14 shipping on PayPal and I've got it back in 2 days!
    popped it in, cover on, fired it up, walked away ... come back 1 hr later & all new program data is loaded and lineup change is corrected and we're in business again.
    I can't tell you how happy I am [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Kids are watching Batman again (from TVLand - 4:00 AM)
    Dads back to disecting Soprano's frame by frame [​IMG]
    All is well with the world.
    Any of youse guys got TiVo troubles ... who ya gonna call --- Tim McNerney [email protected]
    Scott

2. Frank Anderson

Frank Anderson Cinematographer

Thanks for the info Scott. I marked it down in case I ever need Tim's services fixing my TiVo.
    [​IMG]

3. Brad Porter

Brad Porter Screenwriter

I just opened my TiVo this week.
    Out go two 20 GB hard drives. (30 hours basic) [​IMG]
    In go two 160 GB hard drives. (403 hours basic) [​IMG]
    mmmmmmmmmmm..... storage space.
    I used ptvupgrade.com. Not cheap ($750+), but the upgrade kit was super easy to install.
    Brad

4. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

I wasn't aware that anyone paid to upgrade their tivo's, the software is readily available on the net and it's a pretty simple process from what I've read about it, 35 hours is good enough for me. $10 a month however is not [​IMG]

5. Brad Porter

Brad Porter Screenwriter

I paid to get the hard drives. I just opted to spend a little more to get drives that were already formatted so the upgrade process would take about 30 minutes instead of several hours. I upgraded my other TiVo last year the "simple" way and it was more or less an all day project.

Brad