TIVO recommendation success stories

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Ralph, Dec 10, 2002.

1. Brian Ralph

Brian Ralph Stunt Coordinator

I've only had my DirecTv/TIVO unit for a few days, but it already recorded something for me that I really enjoyed. It recorded Monk for me based on the other items I had Season Passes for. I went ahead and watched it. What a great show!

I was surprised how quickly TIVO picked a winner. (Either that or I'm very easy to please.) Any other TIVO recommendation success stories?

2. AnthonyR

AnthonyR Agent

Welcome Brian, I've had DirecTV/TiVo for a few years now and just love it! Do you have two line hooked up to your TiVo so you can record one program and watch something else, or even better record two different shows at the same time?
    Here's a great TiVo forum for you:
    http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/
    Tony

3. BrianW

BrianW Cinematographer

Brian
    Brian, I think TiVo's Suggestion Engine algorithm has improved significantly since I first got my stand-alone TiVo more than two years ago. At first, I got suggestions like Werewolf Viking Gladiators from Outer Space, Hitler's Brain, and Monster Truck Ninja Bikini Robot Warriors.
    Well, I guess it wasn't all that bad. I now have a Season Pass to Monster Truck Ninja Bikini Robot Warriors. [​IMG]
    Trust me: The fun is just beginning.
    Here's a tip: For shows currently in production, create a Title Wishlist, set to SUID (Save Until I Delete), and First Run Only. Then create a Season Pass, set to keep two (or so) episodes, and set it to catch reruns. Then arrange these two entries in your Season Pass Manager so that the Wishlist has a higher priority than the Season Pass. This accomplishes the following:
    * Most imnportantly, this gives you the ability to prioritize shows based not only on title, but also based on whether it's a rerun by putting your first-run Wishlist entries first in the Season Pass manager. For instance, instead of Gilligan's Island always having priority over Leave it to Beaver, you can arrange things so that Gilligan's Island has priority over Leave it to Beaver only if it's a first-run episode. Likewise, you can have first-run episodes of Leave it to Beaver have priority over reruns of Gilligan's Island. (Example only. [​IMG])
    * First Run episodes will be caught by the Wishlist and flagged with a Green Dot, making them easy to spot on the Now Playing list.
    * Reruns will be overlooked by the Wishlist, but they will be caught by the Season Pass (conflicts notwithstanding), and two rerun episodes (if that's what you have set) will always be on hand, just in case there's nothing else to watch. (It could happen.) Again, reruns will be easy to spot in the Now Playing list, because they won't have a Green Dot by them.
    * First-Run episodes will be flagged with a Blue Star in the ToDo List, making them easy to spot, so you can easily distinguish them from the rerun fodder while planning ahead.
    Be careful to set KAM (Keep At Most) judiciously, because you don't want it to stop recording your First-Run episodes, and you may not want it to prematurely delete that classic rerun episode.
    I've got a Wishlist and Season Pass for every show I watch (unless it's no longer in production, in which case I just have a Season Pass), and I've got my KAM set to appropriate numbers numbers for every show (depending on the show and how often it's broadcast) so that I never have to "touch" my TiVo to maintain the recordings. In other words, I don't have to manually delete anything, other than shows I've just watched, to make room for new recordings, and I don't have to fear the occasional marathon filling up my hard drive and deleting unwatched, desirable programs. Once you get it tweaked, it's droolworthily awesome.

4. Brad Porter

Brad Porter Screenwriter

I turned on the suggestions a few years ago and let the TiVo do its thing for about four or five months. It determined that I liked movies and constantly recorded movies that I had seen before (or worse, that I owned on DVD). I turned it back off but occasionally browsed the Suggestions list for shows that looked interesting. The Suggestions list needs a way to divide shows as Thumbs Up - "I enjoy this actor/show!" and Thumbs Up - "I enjoy similar actors/shows!". TiVo was right about me liking Clint Eastwood, but that didn't mean I needed it to recorded movies with him in them.

Brad

5. DwightK

DwightK Second Unit

Iturned off the suggestions part of my TIVO within a week. It was constantly trying to record on network and premium movie channels, none of which I receive. Too annoying so it has disappeared.

Now if I could get it to just stop phoning home every dadgum night for 30 minutes I would be much happier (recent injury to my hip/knee is keeping me up all night, every night).

I don't even remember seeing a suggestions list. Will head and look it up now.

6. Brian Ralph

Brian Ralph Stunt Coordinator

7. Chris Brunner

Chris Brunner Second Unit

Thanks for the tip Brian!

I just installed my very first Tivo last weekend and my whole family is having a BLAST.

I am especially pleased that I can create a Wishlist to record any program that's broadcast in Dolby Digital or Letterbox. I haven't figured out how to combine the two characteristics in one Wishlist though. So much still to learn.

Now, I'm just afraid we'll be watching too much TV.

C

8. BrettK

BrettK Agent

9. DwightK

DwightK Second Unit

Checked out suggested viewing and threw up.

I TIVO watch everything associated with F1 and WRC racing. So what were the sugested programs? NASCAR! GROSS! You would have to pay me to watch NASCAR. And it show 2 thumbs up for the NASCAR shows. Wierd.

I TIVO watch everything and anything skiing or bicycling related. Cannot season pass these as they are titled oddly so I record everything. What was in suggestions? Nothing. Double wierd.

Other than NASCAR, every other item in suggestions was on channels I cannot receive. Either network or premium. Considering my recording history is basically limited to PsiFi, OLN, Speedvision, TechTV, and TLC, I do not unerstand the choices.

As for removing channels, I will remove all the premiums but have to keep the network as I use the guide as my TV guide for my OTA networks.

Thansk for the remove suggestion.

10. BrianW

BrianW Cinematographer

Brian

11. David Rogers

David Rogers Supporting Actor

In another 6-12 months I believe there'll be DVR/PVR (I like the DVR title, but PVR is becoming vogue now) units available that are stand-alone and come with software. You can build one now but have to know your way around assembling a computer.

I'd have a TIVO now if it didn't require the phone/data hook.