TiVo Questions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kyle M, Jul 26, 2001.

1. Kyle M

Kyle M Auditioning

Hello --
    I am very new to satellite/PDR's so I have a few very basic questions I was hoping someone could answer.
    I just bought a new house and plan to install DirecTv service next month. I have two standard, no frills television sets and plan to buy a HDTV within the next 3-6 months.
    I recently bought a Philips DSR6000 DIRECTV Receiver with TiVo Service. But, other than that, I have no other equipment (as I haven't even selected a DirectTV reseller yet).
    My questions are:
    1.) In terms of getting my DirecTV system installed in my house, are there any good DirecTv/Tivo plans that anyone can recommend? Is there anyone in particular I should buy the system from?
    2.) Are there any low-cost Tivo receivers that anyone could recommend as well? I plan on watching it in the bedroom but I don't think I will need anything beyond 20 hours recording time and I don't have any special stereo system or Tv hooked up to it.
    However, I am also interested in the new Tivo option which will allow my to record one show and watch another on the same TV. Will my Phillips receiver get that capability (ie only a software upgrade) or will I need to buy a new receiver? Is it better I wait for that option?
    Thanks for taking time to read this - I'd appreciate any help.
    Regards,
    Kyle

2. William Bailey

3. JerryHatchett

JerryHatchett Stunt Coordinator

Kyle,
    I love TiVo, but recently moved from the standalone unit to the Sony DirecTiVo, which is a DSS satellite receiver and TiVo built in one unit. It records the bitstream directly from the satellite feed and decodes during playback, so the quality of recording programming is exactly the same as watching it live.
    You'll find a little difference in equipment prices, but all service plans come back to TiVo and DirecTV unless there have been recent developments that I don't know about. I now have two TiVo units in the house and bought the $200 lifetime TiVo service on each. Note that this is simply for the TiVo functionality and has nothing to do with the montly DirecTV costs. For convenience sake, however, when you call DirecTV to set up your monthly service, they can process the TiVo end of things for you too to save you having to make two phone calls.
    Jerry
    ------------------

4. PaulG

PaulG Stunt Coordinator

As far as the bedroom TiVo goes, I would stick with DirecTV w/TiVo. If you go with a standalone, you will have to get another TiVo subscription, you need a sub for each SA unit you have, but with the combo units, I beleive there is just a mirror charge.
    I'm not sure of the exact way this works. Anybody?

5. William Bailey