Tivo Questions

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by RonGecan, Apr 19, 2004.

1. RonGecan

RonGecan Agent

Just got Tivo installed with a new DirectTV account. It's only been a couple of days and thus far, well, I've been a bit underwealmed (sp?) actually. I'm not a TV junkie but do like to watch an occassional show so the season pass is nice and quickly being able to access these shows without searching for the right location on the video tape is a good improvement. However, I'm not into it "suggesting" shows for me to watch, which I'm sure others find to be a plus. In addition, stopping live TV has recieved a lot of kudoz, but since I watch next to no real time TV that doesn't do much for me (perhaps a sports show down the road will make me change my tune).

But anyhow, do have a couple of questions:
    1) Best I can tell, the unit doesn't have a jump forward X seconds, does it? If not, what a complete letdown. I HATE the "whoops, I've fastforwarded too far through a comercial and now I have to back up". I had hoped this problem would have gone the way of the horse and buggy.
    2) I should experiment with this, but if I leave the unit in "standby" will it turn on and record when it's time to or does the unit have to be on all the time? (A question reminscent of the old "Do I have to leave the TV on for the VCR to record?")
    3) If I leave it "on" does that mean it's continuously recording to disk for that 1 hour of backup material?

Thanks for any help you can give,

Ron.

2. Kevin Goodwin

Kevin Goodwin Stunt Coordinator

1) Tivo compensates for the fast forwarding problem by automatically "jumping back" when you hit play. You'll get used to it -- it works great.
    2) There's no good reason to put it in Standby mode for regular use.
    3) Tivo is always recording when it's on. That's how you have a half-hour of material in your buffer.

See www.tivocommunity.com for all kinds of Tivo info.

3. Stephen Tu

Stephen Tu Screenwriter

You can get the 30 sec skip forward on the '->|' button, by playing a show, then hitting "select-play-select-3-0-select" rapidly. If you are successful in entering the code, you'll hear 3 chimes. The normal function of the '->|' button can still be accessed while rewinding or fast forwarding.

Most of the time I use FF though, with the auto-jump back it works quite well. 30 sec skip I use more for sports.

4. RonGecan

RonGecan Agent

Thanks for the comments. I used the code and it works fine, though I didn't appreciate that "auto backup" feature of the FF.

Thanks for the link to the Tivo forum. It appears that a whole lot of similar tweaks are available. Very cool.