TIVO Question

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Claude M, Sep 10, 2004.

1. Claude M

Claude M Stunt Coordinator

Hi all, today the tech installed a TIVO unit HUGHS DVR40 in my home. When I ordered it from DIRECT TV the tech support folks at DIRECT TV assured me this unit would have all the features my older SAT RCA receiver would have. Mainly, the digital audio output and the caller-id displayed on the screen when a call comes in. The DVR40 has the digital out but no caller-id. When I called them they stated none of the TIVO units have this feature? Are they pulling my chain or is this true. Perhaps just the units they sell do not have this feature.

2. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

They may be right although it is not unknown that a D*TV CSR may give you bad info.

A DirecTivo is not a SA Tivo, and its not a normal D*TV sat box either. Its well known that there are quite a few features of SA Tivo that are not currently available via a D*Tivo. Quite likely the same is true on the sat receiver side as well.

I have a standard DirecTivo (a Phillips unit), and a new HDTivo (its made by Hughes but is branded a DirecTV product). FWIW, neither have Caller ID capability.

BGL

3. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

4. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    Caller ID on the DirecTivo is only available via a back-door hack. As the newer models have come out, they have made these personal "upgrades" more difficult. Even after the change, there's always a chance that it will be wiped out when DirecTV sends a software upgrade.

When someone calls, just pause what you are watching. It takes a little while to get used to being able to watch what you want, when you want. I find it difficult to watch TV without Tivo.

-Robert

5. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

heck, i find it *impossible* to watch without tivo.

best thing since sliced bread ... i kid you not. you're going to be a very happy camper.

6. Claude M

Claude M Stunt Coordinator

hey Robert you're right! I did a search and found a few hacks are available but I'd never do them.